Federal haversack advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal haversack advice

I have been bitten again by the living history/reenacting bug after a long absence. So...I'm in the process of replacing, and upgrading, some old and worn out kit. I've searched these forums and browsed the "approved vendors" but cannot find a consensus on a source for a good early pattern Federal haversack. Thoughts and links are appreciated. Thank you.
    Tony Morreale

Re: Federal haversack advice

I would try going http://www.nj************.com/

hope this helps,
    James Angel

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply James. Being new to these forums is there a way to "decode" the **** in the link you provided? If not, can you PM me the name of the company?
      Tony Morreale

Comment

Hallo!

No.

It is old history that is still in effect.
        The "He Who's Name Shall Not Be Spoken" threatened law suits if he name appeared on this board. To prevent that it was "auto censored' to comply, acquiesce, to his demands.

It something of a joke, as the permutations or variations on a theme such as versions involving "New Jersey" or "NJ" are well known.

PM sent.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Tim Welch at L.D. Haning makes an excellent Federal haversack. He is also an approved vendor, so buy with confidence.

To the other points offered, I am not sure how long you have been out of the hobby, but there are a host of vendors and providers of quality gear out there, but many of the older makers have folded up shop.

The sales folder on this forum also has offerings from members that may provide what you are looking for. Someone last week was selling a nice one from a bygone maker.

Hope this helps.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

I use and love mine, its from Tim @ S&S Sutler in G'burg.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Robert from Missouri Boot and Shoe
            Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
            44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks for the leads gents - I will check them all out. I decoded the NJ link as well - my Google-Fu is strong today.

I got into the hobby in 1989 and phased myself out in '96 (or so) due to relocation, job, kids, and so on. I met several members of the current Authentic Campaigner community in those "early days" and I've kinda kept up with things because of my other Civil War and history related interests. I'd also pop up here and there and do the odd living history...

You're right about the "sutlers" coming and going. The quality of the wares seems to have shifted as well - some seemingly for the better, others the opposite. I've been guest/lurker on this board and elsewhere for several months trying to get the lay of the land, learn more and improve my impression as I acquire replacement kit so I can tote my Enfield or Henry as the situation dictates.

Back to haversack research… Thanks again!
              Tony Morreale

Comment

Oh sorry about that I didnt even know it did that.

sorry,
                James Angel

Comment

Working...
                X