Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Purchase Federal Equipment

Hello all,

I've been in the market recently for Federal gear, trying put the final pieces together for my impression. But my question revolves around the useage of "Private Purchase" equipment in the ranks and its acceptance at modern events. Of course I want to stay unit/time-period/scenario specific when attending events but the idea of private purchase equipment has always fascinated me and I would like to gear my personal "generic" impression that way. However, in doing so I deviate from what is considered "generic" in this end of the hobby.

I understand that private purchase equipment was seen in the ranks during the war and, although certainly not the norm, those men who could afford it, capitalized on that opportunity. My fear is that, looking over past and future guidelines for campaigner adjuncts and events, private purchase equipment is rarely ever listed as an option for the impression. For example, forage caps are often listed while private purchase kepi's are not (the private purchase kepi is something that I have been looking at quite heavily). As per another example, I am very interested in the new "field modified blouse" that is being offered from W. W. and Co. but its appearance could be understood as a private purchase item.

My ultimate question, after beating around the bush for quite a while now, is that if I were to go with "private purchase" equipment, would they still be acceptable at events? I understand that it would depend on time, place, and style of event, but I don't want to be turned away for personal preference that still falls within the lines of "generic."

Apologies for the long post and ramblings, and hopefully this all makes sense.

Yours,

Bobby
    Robert "Bobby" Novak

Armory Guards

Re: Private Purchase Federal Equipment

Bobby,

Lots of source documentation and photos reflect the use of "private" or "commercial" purchase uniforms (as I read you use of "equipment") for both enlisted and officers.

While I can't comment on your specific questions regarding uniform regulations for events, I will say that there is plenty of evidence the items you describe were used. If you are planning on coming to Bentonville, the uniform guidelines for the event are pretty liberal. Richard Baumgartner's books on the Atlanta Campaign have many excellent images that reinforce this as a practice.

While these books focus on the Western theater, there is ample evidence of the same clothing being worn for Eastern impressions.

When in doubt, go with issue items--always a safe bet. I recommend researching a specific item you like and having a reproduction made of of its details, adhering to proper pattern, construction, and materials. Certainly, the vendors you mention know their stuff and can help steer you in the right direction.

I personally own two commercial sack coats, several commercial kepis and forage caps, several hats, and other sundries. PM me if you want to discuss further, but the clothing is actually a pretty intersting part of military material culture.

Hope this helps.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
    X