Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Request-Marked Federal Items

Hello All,

I am looking for a few images of hand marked or stenciled Federal items for a newsletter article. If you have a marked original item and are willing to share the image I would appreciate it. Any photo's used will be credited to you in the article and you'll have the opportunity to read it before it goes out. Please email me at smsrods@gmail.com

Thank you,
    Scott Sheets
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Re: Image Request-Marked Federal Items

Scott-

Sent you some pics and info on a federal knapsack stenciled by a 15th Iowa soldier. My computer skills are limited let me know if you got them okay.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Shaving mirror was used by Stephen Ward, 55th Mass. He was killed at Honey Hill SC. No name on the Canteen but threw in in anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaving Mirror 00&.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	224518Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaving Mirror 00&.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	224519Click image for larger version

Name:	masscant.jpg
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	224520

- - - Updated - - -

Checker board belonging to Joseph Murphy, 31st Maine. Killed at 2nd Cold Harbor while worming a round from his musket. He was 16 years old. Carved bullets did not come with the box but were dug together in a Petersburg CS trench.

Click image for larger version

Name:	checkbrd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	224521
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Gents-

Here are the pictures I sent to Scott so everyone can see them. Knapsack held by the Iowa Historical Society in Des Moines, Iowa attributed to private William E. Elsroad, Company A, 15th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He enlisted in January 1862, was wounded on April 6, 1862 at Shiloh and was discharged in January 1863. Quite plausibly stenciled the knapsack prior to Shiloh as his service duration certainly has a very narrow window.
        Attached Files
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Louis, I got the pictures. Thank you. And thank to everyone that has sent me something. I appreciate it. I'm also looking for gear items, canteens, leathers, etc. that are marked. I can find plenty of this stuff online, I just need to find stuff that I have permission to include in the article. Thanks again for all of the help.
          Scott Sheets
          Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
          Dirty Shirts

Comment

Working...
          X