Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding information regarding NC uniforms and equipment

Hello,

This is kind of a newbie question but I'm trying to fine tune my impression and someone suggested I post this as a thread.

I need some help finding detailed information regarding the clothing and equipment of North Carolina troops from April-May of 1863 to October-November of 1864, although I'm open to anything before or after this period.

If anyone knows who I can talk to about this is greater detail or where I can find this information I would appreciate the feedback.

Thank You
    Last edited by The Chesterfield Rifleman; 01-19-2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: clarification
    James Peli

Re: Help finding information regarding NC uniforms and equipment

Hello,

Could you further elaborate on what info you are looking for? Are you needing info on particular pieces of clothing and accouterments, or just a broad idea? Eastern or Western theater? I may be able to answer some of your questions. In the mean time, the EOG series will give you a quick look at NC uniforms and equipment. You can also contact the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh.
    Hunter DeBruhl
    25th NCT/ 14th IA
    Carolina Legion
    Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

For the time frame you are asking the basic uniform of North Carolina troops was the so called "North Carolina" jacket and trousers. The state also provided headgear such as caps or forage caps, and sometimes imported hats. Supply was pretty regular to NC units serving in the east, and even though it was more irregular to the few NC units in the west (29th 39th, 58th, & 60th NC) there were still some issues along with clothing issued from central CS govt stores. Equipment would have been provided by the central CS government and not the state in most cases.

Will MacDonald

Comment

I highly recommend the book Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown. There is great info about the proportions of depot distribution and specifically what and how much the state of North Carolina provided for their troops as well as several breakdowns of certain uniform and equipment distributions.
        Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Hello,

Hunter, I'm focusing on eastern NC soldiers right now. I'm looking for a broad overview, however I would like to find more information on blankets. I've read a little about the import blankets with the "NC" sewn onto them, but I've also heard of jean cloth blankets, carpet blankets and even rag rug blankets being issued to confederate soldiers. So what was the likelihood that jean cloth and carpet blankets were issued to NC soldiers as well as government made and imported wool blankets?

Will, could you elaborate further on the imported hats you mentioned? In original photos of the dead at Spotsylvania and Petersburg, I've seen this dark slouch hat next to numerous bodies, some of which belonged to the 4th NC, which is in the same brigade as my unit, the 14th NC. The hat has a small band and trim around the edge of the brim. I've heard this referred to as an "Import Hat". Could this be what you mentioned? Do you have any more info on this? I've only seen these hats in photos of confederate dead from 64-65, but they could have been in use earlier than that.

Patrick, I have Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown. It's a fantastic book and I'll definitely thumb through it once I find it again.

Thanks for the feedback gentleman.
          Last edited by The Chesterfield Rifleman; 01-24-2015, 10:40 AM. Reason: grammar
          James Peli

Comment

Hello,

The issue regarding blankets is a very hard one to determine. It may be possible to figure out what they were issued if you can locate regimental histories or diaries from the men in the regiment. It's possible they could have mentioned that they were issued blankets made of (x)... That said, I have read several resources including letters, histories and even the regimental reports by the adjutant of my unit (25th NC) and have yet to find a specific blanket mentioned. They do mention many times of receiving blankets from the depot in Richmond or while on duty in NC, but they do not mention the material. I'm sure you are already aware that North Carolina did an outstanding job keeping her troops clothed and equipped throughout the war. Based on that fact and the numerous accounts of NC troops receiving regular issues of clothing and equipment, I feel you would be better off using CS manufactured blankets or imports. I won't say carpet blankets or jeans weren't used, but I believe it would have been in very, very small numbers if at all.

It is possible the NC Museum of History may be able to help you as I mentioned before. You could also contact the NC State Archives to see if there are letters or regimental reports for the 14th on file.

Sorry I cannot offer more than an opinion on the matter,
            Hunter DeBruhl
            25th NCT/ 14th IA
            Carolina Legion
            Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Thank you Hunter. I figured as much. There are one or two post war books written by veterans of the 14th NC, but none from my company, company I. Still, there are plenty of letters and first hand accounts from soldiers of the other regiments in Cox's Brigade, such as the 4th NC, so I have a general idea of what the regiments looked like, just not the 14th specifically. Then again, we are a mainstream/progressive unit that occasionally portray other regiments from other states so going for a more "general" look would probably be better.
              James Peli

Comment

Honestly, you can't go wrong with wearing a NC depot issued jacket when portraying tarheels from '63 on. Now they're a different jacket from the early war sack coat ('61-'62 mostly) mind you.
                Dylan Weston
                26th NCT
                Rumpus Regulators Mess

Comment

Bryant Roberts
                  Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                  palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Amzi Williamson was issued his jacket and cap before Gettysburg. The 27th NC were already wearing uniforms made of English import cloth in October 1863.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7016565_orig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	224582

Comment

Working...
                    X