Camp Signage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Signage

Has anyone found evidence of signage around camp or hanging from a tent indicating it was the Adjutant or some other staff?The reason I ask is that I am the new Adutant for a mainstream organization and I was directed to hang a sign. IMHO that would not be necessary if my tent is in the proper location with the rest of the staff and because my organization would know who I am.

I realise that I am working with a mainstream group and that is an issue. However I'm trying to make my small portion of that world as accurate as possible. I also wish to find some evidence one way or the other to support my decision on signage.

Thank you,

Jim
    Jim Busby
    Walton Guards
    Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
    Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
    Co C 3rd US Inf
    www.waltonguards.org

Re: Camp Signage

Here are some links to two pictures out of a few that show some signage. It appears to be more of a Static Winter camp where signs are appearing. obviously this is something that will take time to dig through but should help with the answer to your question.

Here is a link for the LOC civil war collection:

Adjutant and First Sergeants, 22d N. Y. S. M. near Harper's Ferry, Va.1861 (i.e.1862?)

Group of Co. A 8th NYM Arlington VA June 1861,
    John Schut (Sgt USMC)
    10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

I have served as an Adjutant for mainstream battalions many times. I enjoy the work. Most of the time trying to get morning reports can be a challenge, especially on time. I have hung up a sign on my tent many times when there is a fixed camp (most often I just throw down some place and have no tent). In the end it doesn't help anything. I think once someone left something on a folding table in it for me. Problem is I am not just sitting there waiting for someone to come by. I am mobile and need to be. That said I am enjoying the original photos and back to the discussion on what they did.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks this helps.

Jim
        Jim Busby
        Walton Guards
        Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
        Co D 7th VT Inf Reg