Question about Enfield slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Enfield slings

Will, simply dye it black on the rough side, and if you can rub it with a light coat of store bought lard, really work it in well. Don't you think for a minute that waxed leather actually had wax on it, it was Sperm Oil. Attach the sling with the blackened rough side out. And no the outside should not commonly be brown.

Comment

Sounds good .I will give her a try.Thanks .Oh yea what type of dye should I use? I know black but is there a period type I can make or is that something I can bye from the store.What would it be? Thanks again.
      Last edited by Will Rumsey; 04-21-2004, 09:30 AM.
      Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
      "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Comment

Well, it is best to use a good period recipe for any dye that you plan on using. Period dyes really do look a lot different, especially after they age a little. Here is the black dye from the Ordnance manual. You can scale it down to fit however much you need.

Dye for Blacking Belts.

Extract of logwood 2 lbs
        Broken nutgalls .5 lbs
        Pyrolignate of iron .5 pint
        Soft water 1 gallon

The logwood and nutgalls are boiled in the water till the logwood is dissolved. When cold, add the pyrolignate of iron. Stir it well and let it-settle. When clear, decant it free from sediment and keep it well corked.
        The pyrolignate of iron made by dissolving iron-filings in pyroligneous acid,-as much as the acid will take up.
        The addition of the logwood is not essential.
        A solution of copperas may replace the pyrolignite of iron, but it is not so good.

The Pyrolignate of iron can be made by disolving steelwool in cider vinegar. Nutgalls are the ugly deformations found on oak branches. Got one in my back yard with many on it.

Comment

Thanks for the formula. This is the first time I've ever come across a formula that used wax. Have seen a few that called for sperm oil. I can personally vouch that the formula that I posted for black dye, I've used it, had 2 sets of accoutrements made with it and it's black, very black. I do agree about the English stuff, as both my original pieces are just the way you described for the most part, and this is 140 years after they were made.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the good information. However, two questions remain. The sutler who offers the sling as "with the smooth finished side facing inward towards your shoulder, meaning that the smooth side rides on your shoulder while the rough side faces out" appears to have the finishes backwards. Is this assumption correct or am I just misreading it?

Also, if the rough side was "waxed" with any of the recipes offered here, wouldn't the sling leave a stain on clothing unless it was "cured" in some way? Thanks again in advance.

George Walters

Comment

One question comes to mind about the slings. Would it be appropriate not to even have a sling at all? I used to have one and it was horrible (farby) and it always got entangled in the rest of my gear. So it is now discarded. If this is an ignorant question I am truly sorry.
              Thank You
              Jacob Hill
              Independent Rifles

Comment

George, stains make uniforms look right, as does dirt and grime.

Jacob, yes, no sling is a good option, many photos show slingless muskets.

Comment

In the latest copy of the Watchdog ( Summer 2004 ) there is an interesting article that essentially blasts the thong type of sling ( indicated elsewhere in this thread as being correct)as being incorrect and actually for the 1903-1904 Lee Enfield. Any thoughts from the Enfield Experts out there? Or better yet,anyone know of any original photo's of them in use by US or CS troops?
                  Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                  PO BOX 4849
                  Midlothian, VA 23112
                  www.richmonddepot.com
                  (804)305-2968

Comment

I believe a colleague of mine may be able shed some light on this as he has recently seen a few English import items. My direct question to him regarded the "thong" Enfield sling I bought from TMD. His reply was that my sling mimiced the original he had the pleasure of observing. Neill, any more insight??

Originally posted by Richmond Depot
                    In the latest copy of the Watchdog ( Summer 2004 ) there is an interesting article that essentially blasts the thong type of sling ( indicated elsewhere in this thread as being correct)as being incorrect and actually for the 1903-1904 Lee Enfield. Any thoughts from the Enfield Experts out there? Or better yet,anyone know of any original photo's of them in use by US or CS troops?
                    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
                    Palmetto Living History Association
                    [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
                    October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Comrades,

This is the body of text I posted in another thread, with a couple of additions regarding the sling dimensions, etc.

Comrades,

Issue No. 4, Vol. X May-June 1983 of the North South Trader has an excellent article on English accouterments imported by Massachusetts. The article has several images accompanying it, and there are some of the 44th and 6th Mass. regiments where English-pattern slings with "D" buckles are plainly visible on the Enfield.
                      Of interest as well is the facsimile of Plate 15 of Captain Martin Petrie's contemporary book "Equipment of Infantry" which depicts the accouterments and weapons of the Rifles, Guards, and Line regiments of 1865.
                      The illustration shows the two patterns of bayonet frogs, one with a belt and buckle to secure the scabbard, and the other sans belt. The plain one is labeled as "buff" while the belted one is clearly labeled as "black leather'. The same with the waistbelt. The belt with the snake buckle is clearly labeled as black leather, whereas the buff belt uses a spoon and wreath buckle. Likewise, the cartridge box belt as well as the rifle slings are divided into buff and black leather, with the rifle-musket sling using the "D" buckle being black, and listed at 1 &1/8" wide and 48" long. The buff sling is listed for sergeants, and is shown as 1" wide and 39" long. It has 2 leather loops and a rectangular buckle which appears to be identical in shape to the metal adjustment buckle used on the waistbelt, but of course sized for the sling. The style of sling utilizing thongs/ties is not illustrated, but of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't available. Captain Petrie is simply listing what was currently considered "issue" in 1865. With the contracts being let in 1861, etc, other and earlier models may well have been available for sale.
                      If the moderators will permit it, I would gladly scan the image and post it. I am just uncertain as to the copyright of a 139 year old drawing in a 21 year old publication, especially when the images are credited to other sources
                      Anyway, the images certainly show enfields with English pattern slings.

respects,
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

I bought an Enfield sling from Czekanski a few years before he stop producing, it’s beautiful. It’s all black with the rough side out, no buckle and tied with a leather thong at the trigger guard swivel. I’ve never seen anything come close to matching it.
                        Dutchy

Jim Fortnam
                        CaughtOff Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Guardsman
                          I bought an Enfield sling from Czekanski a few years before he stop producing, it’s beautiful. It’s all black with the rough side out, no buckle and tied with a leather thong at the trigger guard swivel. I’ve never seen anything come close to matching it.
                          Jim
                          If you go back to message #7 of this thread you may find a picture of what you are describing.
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by MuleyGil
                            Many moons ago, a white canvas sling w/ a sewn on leather reenforcing strip was considered the Enfield sling. Was it based on ANY WBTS sling or was it a military sling at all?

Just wondering.

Gil Tercenio
                            I'm looking at a picture, in Francis A. Lord's "Civil War Collector's Encyclpedia", of 2 rifle slings (page 120). A description of this picture is on page 118, describing the British Enfield Gun Sling, used by the Confederates, as Light canvas material, 30 inches long, with 2 leather loops, and a heavy wire hook on the end. The U.S. Gun Sling as Russet leather, 38 1/2 inches long, with 2 loops and a brass hook on the end.
                            By the way...
                            Is Francis A. Lord's "Civil War Collector's Encyclpedia" a good reference to use?

Pvt. Phillip Allen
                            12th Texas Infantry
                            Last edited by ; 09-05-2004, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I stopped using my Enfiels sling on the rifle a long time ago. Now I use it to carry my bed roll. Works alot better than it did on my rifle! :)

Comment

Just picked up this very informative, but old, thread. Having rad through all posts, it seems at least one question remains:

1. Was it relatively common for U.S. State/Fed units with the Enfield 1855 to use British-supplied black leather slings? Conversely, would these have been quickly replaced by natural/russet U.S. slings (and did the length mean anything since Enfield slings are longer)? I am particulalry interested in what the practice of state units (other than Mass., think west) may have been.

I've checked many period photos but unfortunately have not found anything conclusive on either question.
                                Last edited by Ian M.; 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM. Reason: correction
                                Ian Macoy
                                Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X