Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issuing percussion caps

Hello all

This is probably something that I should know, but I do not and it's always bugged me. How were percussion caps issued in the field? How many were carried at one time? Ok, the second one is more academic, but would they fill the box up before a campaign or take forty caps with forty rounds etc.?
    Oliver Marks

20th Maine, Company F (UK)

Re: Issuing percussion caps

12 Percussion wrapped in paper were included in each pack of 10 rounds. Very seldom are tins of percussion caps recovered from camps but some have.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Exactly, each arsenal pack had a tube that included 12 percussion caps along with 10 rounds.
      Mike McGee
      Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
      Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
      Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
      Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
      KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
      Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Folks,
        If not mistaken, the CS soldier was actually issued 14 caps per arsenal pack due to the failures rate being issued. Someone with more knowledge on this may want to chime in but, I seem to recall having run across this in research.
        George Taggart

- - - Updated - - -
        George Taggart

Comment

Well that explains that question. Thanks for the help!
          Oliver Marks

20th Maine, Company F (UK)

Comment

Left column, second from top shows wrapped caps.

If I did this right, you'll see a pic up there ^^^
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

On a total side note I once rammed a pack of caps during a somewhat stressful moment at an LBL event and wonder if anyone has ever seen a reference to this happening for real.
              John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

While I have not read of an actual occurrence the odds are it did happen. "Given the accounts of ramrods being left in barrels and extra rounds loaded in the heat of battle" I can see where a pack of caps might accidentally be loaded, especially by "green" soldiers.

I make it a habit to "gently squeeze" each round to insure I'm not grabbing a pack of caps by mistake before loading. At events where packs are collected for distribution I don't include caps in my arsenal packs for obvious reasons.
                Joseph Musgrove

Comment

No but I inadvertently shot left handed and cap burned my eye.
                  Most Respectfully,
                  Josh Fieldhouse

Comment

The first thing I do is put the caps in the cap pouch so I don't drop and lose them

Originally posted by Sackcoat View Post
                    While I have not read of an actual occurrence the odds are it did happen. "Given the accounts of ramrods being left in barrels and extra rounds loaded in the heat of battle" I can see where a pack of caps might accidentally be loaded, especially by "green" soldiers.

I make it a habit to "gently squeeze" each round to insure I'm not grabbing a pack of caps by mistake before loading. At events where packs are collected for distribution I don't include caps in my arsenal packs for obvious reasons.
                    Kevin Barnes

Comment

Working...
                    X