Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Li'l Drummers?

Hello!
    My son (9) has expressed interest in learning the drum. I know of places to find a good drum, but what resources are out there to teach him how to play *properly*?

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Teaching Li'l Drummers?

Wick,

There are several books out there which teach the basics of rudiments, etc. along with videos, tutorials, DVDs and other sources. These are good augmentation, but my recommendation is finding an instructor who teaches the "ancient rudiment" style that is of the period we portray, and earlier, for that manner. It is also known as "traditional", but a traditional instructor may not be a fife and drum band participant and with your son being of the right age to learn this and soak up the knowledge you want to get it right the first time.

I recommend finding a fife and drum band in your area, if possible, and contacting them about their practice/rehearsal schedule. I have found them to be very welcoming and it is a community in and of itself with its own nuances and approaches. Some cater specifically to younger membership and it is almost like being a member of a club. Further, I have never seen a group turn anyone away who wants to learn to play instruments with them because they have a vested interest in fostering the traditions.

From there, you can either go to those practice sessions and he can learn to play by doing (it is also how young drummers learned in the war) and/or you can arrange for a qualified drummer to provide private lessons to your son until such time as he can practice and do things on his own in order to keep up during the rehearsals. Joining one of these bands and standing around in a jam circle can be a little daunting for a young musician, but I will say that my own son (a drummer for the past seven years) learned a great deal through both methods and this carried over to his musical acumen in other instruments.

Finally, having a group he can jam with will keep things interesting and fresh for him. It is hard to maintain enthusiasm for something on your own that is really better when played as a group. Like-minded friends make all the difference as was evidenced this past weekend with our fine complement of musicians who kept "the joints greased" as we marched along to lively tunes. If you are all into it together, the energy is much more positive. As those guys demonstrated, it isn't how many you have, but who they are, so hats off to them once again.

I digress. Those are my suggestions and I post them here in case other members have a similar question. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss further. I have plenty of contacts in the F&D world having spent a lot of time in two different bands, built two drums, owned five, and dabbled in the fife to at least play Yankee Doodle passibly! Your son, based upon what I saw of him this weekend, will do way better than that!
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Get him a private instructor at a local music store that teaches rudimental snare drum and traditional grip/technique (he should also get into band/marching band in 5th grade). The first step is to learn the 26 basic rudiments of the drum. They are like the alphabet for learning and are essential to being successful. Make sure these rudiments are mastered (performed slow-fast-slow) before moving on to learning calls and tunes. Obtain a copy of The Drummer's and Fifer's Guide by Bruce and Emmett. The Guide is the most standard and universal book for field musicians in the hobby. It is the best manual to grasp the foundation of calls, tunes, and cadences. He will also need a practice pad with stand as well as a music stand and a metronome (a drummer is of no use without having the ability to have that internal clock that keeps time). Another useful tool to get are recordings of fife and drum corps. Be sure he seriously wants to be a musician and not just a placeholder until he is 16 and can shoulder a musket. Otherwise, this will be a futile and costly endeavor and would be better off waiting till a later age. Until he is functional, he should not be brought into the field as a musician. There is nothing more frustrating to field musicians in the hobby than having a horde of young kids to babysit that are non-functional musicians at an event. At 9, he is on the young side to be taking the field and it is unauthentic to have him out there. In my own experience, I was not allowed to participate until I was older and could actually play in spite of how much I wanted to take part. That being said, he is at the perfect age to start his musical journey and I wish him the best of luck and hope the information is helpful.

Here is a link to a very helpful list of the rudiments along with audio to practice:
      Alex Kuhn
      Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

Comment

Great points, Alex, especially about taking the field. Carrying a drum shouldn't be seen as a chore.

You guys always sound fantastic, incidentally!
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Ivan and Alex, thank you for the information!

Originally posted by FederalDrummerBoy View Post
          Be sure he seriously wants to be a musician and not just a placeholder until he is 16 and can shoulder a musket.
          I believe he does. My son has asked several times about playing drum and was visibly bored during Saturday's "battle" at Bentonville. He compared the battle to (and this is a direct quote), watching golf on TV. :-)

I guess I'm still the only musket junky in the house. Oh well. Le sigh...

;-)
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Oh, I am quite the musket junky as well! I love looking and collecting them more than drums!
            Alex Kuhn
            Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

Comment

Here is a video I made for a young drummer starting out. I break down the long roll, 5 stroke roll, 7 stroke roll and flam. Then I play a very slow version of the Assembly, which uses the 7 stroke roll and the flam. This is followed by a slow rendition of the Assembly and the Assembly at a normal tempo

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
              Will Chappell

Comment

Can't go wrong with Will's endorsement. His drums are top-notch, too.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

All good advice. Let me give you a piece of advice:

Buy earplugs for everyone in the house that isn't a drummer.
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

John,
                    I went to college for percussion and music education, thought I typically don't do field music at events. My advice is to seek out a competent private lesson teacher first. Beginning snare drum books, such as the Haskell Harr book series, teach a solid foundation in technique, rudiments, and musicality. Once you have that down making the switch to period drumming is a small shift. A solid foundation outside of 'civil war' drumming is very important in my mind. I've noticed over the years drummers who have learned only from other reenactors have some horrible sticking habits and tend to 'cheat' on rolls, flams, etc. They might sound good, but they will have a hard time improving with poor technique.

If you don't mind I can send a message to some directors in Georgia that I know and repect to see if they would recommend an instructor in your area.
                    Scott Sheets
                    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                    Dirty Shirts

Comment

Regarding shortcuts in drumming technique, check out this vet "cheating" on the army 2-4 beat by using 5 stroke rolls instead of 7s.

Some people say that simpler versions of tunes and beats from manuals other than Bruce and Emmett are "dumbed down" versions, but since the simpler versions predate Bruce and Emmett, this is a misconception. "B&E" is rather a fancied up version of the KISS system.

Still waiting for someone to discover that hand written drum manuscript in some old attic. Until we find a good sample of those, say, a number equal to the total surviving Columbus depot jackets, we need to be aware of the fact that it is possible that drummers 150 years ago did not necessarily "play by the book" as proficient drummers do today.
                      Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM.
                      Will Chappell

Comment

Didn't want to post a link but check out the national civil war field music school it is at fort Mc henry this year.

Eric Precht
                        Musician 119th NYSV
                        Eric Precht

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
                          , we need to be aware of the fact that it is possible that drummers 150 years ago did not necessarily "play by the book" as proficient drummers do today.
                          I completely agree that not all drummers that served in the war were proficient. I have a copy of a diary of the drummer for Company A of the 36th Illinois. You can tell from his writing that he was learning to drum on the spot from someone else in the field, so I doubt he was as proficient at any point in the war as someone correctly trained today. That being said, if you have a young one that has any interest in pursuing music beyond reenacting you would be doing them a great disservice to NOT have them trained by a professional instructor. The rudimental drumming style of our period of interest is still the foundation for beginning snare drum students. My favorite beginners book from the 1950's, Haskell Harr Book 1, has quite a few civil war era calls and songs in the book as exercises.
                          Scott Sheets
                          Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                          Dirty Shirts

Comment

Working...
                          X