Federal knapsack frame measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal knapsack frame measurements?

I am looking to make my double bag have a early war "hardpack" frame. I read that they had a frame for early war but where taken out later. If anyone has the measurements I would love to use them.
    Thanks,
    Lucas Hamby
    Lucas Hamby

Re: Federal knapsack frame measurements?

Welcome Lucas!

Depending on the style of pack you have it might not ever be meant to have a frame. Most doublebags being produced today are patterned off those that did not. Some packs did have a wooden frame and I believe typically have exposed rivets on the shoulder straps as just one difference. If memory serves these packs with frames were not federal issue. In short, having or not having a frame does not make it right or wrong for early war. To see some originals there are both types in Echos of Glory. I am sure someone can add much more. Once I am at home and off the phone to type, also not off my memory, I will try to remember to pull some info to add.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Hi Lucas,
      The following link is to a knapsack that was brought back to Illinois. Link to site

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lucas,
      The following link is to a knapsack that was brought back to Illinois. Link to site
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hallo!

"Atypical," but not unknown (EOG, page 213) and NUG thrown away (or maybe burned) by the men. They are not mentioned in the "1865 QM manual."

Anyways... they were made from two piece each of 1/2 inch thick pine. The two long sides measured 14 5//8 by 2 3/4. The two short sides 11 1/2 by 2 3/4. They were joined on the ends by a 1 inch by 1/2 inch wide tab and slot. Early ones were "loose" so as to come apart or lie flat. Sometime later they started to come nailed together.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X