Looking for brass letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for brass letters

I'm working on a 1861-62 1st Texas Infantry impression for an event down the road and I know, from the few pictures and the reading I've done, that they went a bit overboard with the brass on their caps. Does anyone know of anybody that makes appropriate brass letters? I can find the standard company letters from A-L and an occasional M, but no luck on the rest of the alphabet. I've toyed with the idea with stamping them myself, but thought somebody out there must make the correct lettering.
    Justin Sanders
    9th Texas Infantry
    Red River Battalion

Re: Looking for brass letters

Justin,

I am looking for the same... have you had any luck?

I am working on a specific early war portrayal of a North Carolina soldier. I have evidence (pictures and accounts) that their caps had brass insignia denoting regiment number, company, state initials, etc., and I am trying to reproduce that. The problem I am running into is that I am finding most vendors only carry the limited letters for the companies, A-M.

In this case, I need brass letters/numbers to designate Company A of the 4th North Carolina Volunteers... so I need an A and a 4 (which I can find), but also the initials N C V.... and I can't find anyone who either already has or can reproduce the N or the V for me.

Any suggestions out there? Make my own?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
    Fred D. Taylor
    Co. G, Portsmouth Rifles
    9th Virginia Infantry

Comment

Re: Looking for brass letters

Fred,
      Haven't had any luck on finding anyone that makes company letters past "M." I'm seriously looking at making my own, figured vintage stencils on a brass sheet, but haven't been able to figure out how to put the correct attachment parts on the back of the letter to fasten it to my forage cap.
      Justin Sanders
      9th Texas Infantry
      Red River Battalion

Comment

Working...
      X