need help with manuals and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with manuals and such

I am thinking of starting my own unit based out of Arkansas so most of the events we do would be western theater. We will be portraying both north and south depending on the needs of the event. I am wanting to go more progressive with the group so therefore I am wanting them to be well trained and am wondering what are the best and most authentic manuals and teaching aids for western troops of both side.
    Ross Taylor.

Re: need help with manuals and such

The correct answer is more complicated and dependent on early/mid/late war, etc but the practical reenacting answer (especially since you'll presumably be falling in with other groups) is 1861 HARDEES for confederate and CASEYS for union.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Ross, Just for your awareness, the 24th Missouri Infantry US operates in the Arkansas area, but we only do US. We portray a basic Western Federal infantry company. Some members have other kits, in fact some are going with Mike Comer for his upcoming event I believe. We have members in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas predominently. We are running an adjunct for Campaigners for the upcoming Pea Ridge event in Sept, and will have a company at the Picket Post event in the spring in Kentucky. More campaigners out here are certainly needed. We drill strictly by Caseys, and use Kautz's Customs of the Service as well. Hope to see you on the field.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

The manuals mentioned are all you need. There is a shortage of progressive groups in the Trans-Miss from what I have seen and those that do exist tend to be pretty small. There are many mainstreamers though. Are you wanting to pull mainstreamers who have a desire for more progressive and authentic events/impressions or try to organize those that are already in the progressive ranks? The boys in the 24th MO are already doing well on the Federal side would be a great support/home for your group when doing Federal impressions - no need to reinvent the wheel you know. However, there are only pockets of good progressive/authentic Confederate reenactors this side of the river in my experience. Feel free to contact me though if you wish to discuss. I might be able to assist in some fashion.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
        X