What hat and what size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hat and what size?

So I am fairly new, and I have a good uniform but a poor forage cap, Where should I look, what style, and how do I know my size without trying them on?

Thanks!
    Nate Riedy

Re: What hat and what size?

Originally posted by nathanriedy View Post
    So I am fairly new, and I have a good uniform but a poor forage cap, Where should I look, what style, and how do I know my size without trying them on?
    I can't help you with style and size because I don't know what impression you're attempting.

HOWEVER...
    For size, just get a taylor's tape and put it around your noggin' where you want to the hat band to sit (above your ears). Look in the mirror to make sure it is in the right position and see the measurement in inches.

You can use this measurement when communicating with hat vendors. They'll know what to do from there.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

If you do not have a cloth tape measure, just take a piece of string or cord. Then measure the length on a ruler/yard stick.

Hat sizes are a function of the circumference of your head. Then sometimes 'adjusted' for the shape of your head- with most being round while others are "long ovals."
      Amount of hair can add to your hat size. And gaining or losing weight also increases or decreases your hat size.
      Hats also tend to shrink with use, exposure, and wettings so a hat that is tight my get tighter over time.

Quality hats are made to sizes. Brand X, Run-of-the-Mill Sutler hats often come in designations such as Small, Medium, Large, X-Large which typically mean something only to that supplier because they are supposed to fit a "range" of sizes within the brackets.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

What is your unit's impression? Federal or Confederate? Eastern or Western. My unit does Western theater, both Federal and Confederate. Most prefer a slouch hat. Do a little research about the unit you will be portraying. Check out the approved vendors on this site as a couple make fine headwear. I have had luck buying online by sending my head measurement, as referenced above. But I think it safer to try a hat on and see how it looks on me. I'd not skimp on footwear nor headwear.
        Andy Redd
        Andy Redd

Comment

Working...
        X