need help with western troop impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with western troop impression

I am part of a small mainstream infantry group based in Arkansas we are wanting to be more progressive but funds are low and wanting to get a good generic western federal and confederate impression going. Would like some help on what gear uniforms weapons etc. would be good for this. All help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ross Taylor.

Re: need help with western troop impression

As is common with both armies; time, place and unit would dictate uniforms, equipment, weapons and rations.

Next time you prepare for an event look at the unit you are going to portray. Then look at when you are portraying them IE 61, 62, 63 etc. After this has been determined look for official records and regimental histories. You may only find very little info on a unit or even none at all. Then it would be time to research the units brigaded with the unit you are portraying. There might be a good chance that they are mentioned in a different units regimental history.
    Bottom line is let the history provide you with your impression guidelines and don't be surprised if your research costs money along with a lot of time.
    Best of luck researching your impression!
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM. Reason: Grammer
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Ross,

You are to be commended for having the desire to move forward with your authenticity. It is a journey though and as Tyler said, it will take effort to do it. His advice is sound. There is also much information here on the forum you can dig into. Using the search function and looking at the archives will provide you with plenty of stuff to think about.

I'm not that far from you, being in New Madrid, MO. In fact I went to Arkansas State there in Jonesboro many moons ago. If you are ever going to be in the area and would like to talk about impressions, gear etc. send me a pm ahead of time and perhaps we can work something out.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Ross,

I like Tyler and Mike am glad to see you all wanting to Progress. I would recommend thinking of it as a Marathon not a sprint... Meaning don't feel held down by its all "expensive". Pace yourself. Let the History guide you. Read a lot. Let me say It again read a lot. Look at pictures. Question everything in your impression. Is it made in the manor they in which they did 150+ years ago? Are the textiles correct? Did they have modern markings on their weapons? Did they really have or commonly carry said item? Ask yourself these questions and more about the thing you carry or need to buy. We can't give you a list really. Like Tyler said depends on who you want to represent.

What is research some might say? Its Searching, questioning, looking at photography of the time, reading memoirs, old books written by first hands and just being inquisitive. I feel certain you have those qualities or you would not posted... Keep it up. Find something to question and research it. Bring it here and ask us...just keep going.

You get my drift?
        Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
        The Company of Military Historians
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

I'm sorry it's been awhile since I have responded and I would like to thank all you gentelmen for your input. We are trying to negate some of the costs by teaching ourselves with help from professionals on sewing and other skills that may help us make the bulk of our uniforms and some other equipage and trying to do some fundraising to help purchase the materials need in bulk so that it will not cost the men out of pocket so much as just their time and effort. Thank you men again and I will be asking further questions in the future. On and also Mr. Comer I may be taking you up on that offer in the future for advice and the like.
          Ross Taylor.

Comment

Actually, a lot of what you will need to do here is less expensive... with Western Fed, since uniform standards were usually more relaxed, often less is more. Research is not expensive, look at images and study them closely. When you get an item of material culture, get the best you can afford and it will save you money in the long run.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

You might reach out to some of the vendors that make uniforms and see if they provide kits and could offer some discount for X number of kits ordered at one time. Organize a unit sewing weekend, snag a tailor with experience making CW clothing correctly as an paid instructor. Some beer and pizza and lots of room and you'll have a good time.

Take pics though. Your wives aren't going to believe it.
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

That was kinda my plan actually on getting the guys to make their own uniforms but tracking down a tailor in the northeast Arkansas area that has experience putting together civil war clothing is kinda tough. We do however have a few ladies attached to our group that are very good seamstresses and do incredible hand work so thought we could take them first to a few museums look in detail at originals to give them the ideas and notes on the different types of stitches that were used and where and how applied.
                Ross Taylor.

Comment

Ross, if you plan to follow Joe's advice I would reccomend contact Sheri McCullah. She is very knowledgeable about military clothing, construction methods and fabric. She has also held workshops for civilian items, so she is no stranger to teaching. If you would like her contact info send me a PM and I will be glad to help you out.
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X