authentic pattern questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic pattern questions.

I am needing help find a good source or sources for good uniform and equipment patterns any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ross Taylor.

Re: authentic pattern questions.

Are you looking for US or CS? I think Charlie Childs makes both and are very good for uniforms. Equipment? not sure on that one. I know original ordnance manuals I believe have patterns and dimensions for things.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I was looking for both us and cs and by equipment I mean mostly cloth equipage as in
      haversacks ,shelter halves etc.
      Ross Taylor.

Comment

You're going to need to track down some source materials like The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium for stuff like the haversack and shelter half information. Or Fred Gaude's book on the US shelter halves.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

You can't beat looking at originals and making your patterns. All my dimensions for shelter halves and haversacks come from originals that I have examined as does all of my clothing patterns. Contact museums and starting making some appointments to examine originals. They will explaining their terms and conditions for your visit.
          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Well patterns for simple stuff I can make such as tents and haversacks as for making clothing patterns just by looking at the and measuring the probably a little out my skill range. I have made my haversack from the drawings in the Confederate sketchbook but those are pretty straight forward and square.
            Ross Taylor.

Comment

Hi Ross,

for clothing patterns, check out this link to Mr. Devere's 1856 system:

try printing it out and sorting the plates with the accompanying text for clarity. You might ignore the "graduated" measures (unless you procure a set of Devere graduated rulers), and just follow instructions for drafting by the common inch tape (p.20 and 31), direct from your own measures. The chapters on alterations of various kinds to improve fit are awesome.

Devere's 1866 edition reprinted by R.L. Shep has the more 1860s cut in the diagrams, but the above can be modified to match 1860s garments, (wider elbows, etc.) If you have the Confederate Sketchbook, you could apply the assembly notes from it to the patterns in Devere's works.
              THere is a great deal on period pattern drafting with Devere on the Sewing Academy web page.

cheers,

J. Marshall
              Tampa Bay, Fla.
              James "Archie" Marshall
              The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
              Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
              X