1861 conversion to 1855

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 conversion to 1855

Has anyone pondered converting an 1861 Springfield to an 1855 Springfield? I'm aware of the differences between the 2 and the differences in the different models of 1855s, even some originals with combinations of the 2. Lodgewood has all of the parts I would need, just wondering if anyone has attempted it.
    Mike McGee
    Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
    Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
    Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
    Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
    KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
    Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Re: 1861 conversion to 1855

Mike, I don't have any input one way or the other, except that it sounds like a neat project. I imagine the parts and cost would vary significantly depending on whether you were starting with an original donor gun or a repro.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

My M1855 started out as a Miroku M1861, and was converted by David @ Lodgewood. It has an original working lock, but all other parts are repro. Depending on which type of M1855 you are going for (I know they didn't specify types, but there are several different versions), there is a bit of work involved. Rear sight, nose cap, patchbox door, and buttplate come to mind immediately. I know Mr. Schmidt knows a ton about them too since he used to make them or work on them (I remember his comment about making patchbox doors) also, and I'm guessing his comment should be coming soon. As I was told, first you need to decide what kind of '55 you'd like, then go from there. I can help somewhat also. Good luck.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I could go simple and stick with the original version of Maynard lockplate, iron furniture, long range sight, no patchbox and brass nosecap. Lodgewood sells a reproduction Maynard lockplate, sights and brass nosecap. Patchbox has me nervous if I went that route. But then I saw a version with all the features of the first with a '61 sight, that would be even easier. College Hill Arsenal had one for sale that had nothing but the '55 lockplate and the rest looked '61. I already have a defarbed A/S 1861 but that '55 I just can't seem to get off my mind.
        Mike McGee
        Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
        Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
        Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
        Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
        KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
        Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Check out a recent thread where a sermon was provided about the challenges converting a US 1861 repro to an 1855. It can be done, but not really...and given the comparatively low numbers produced, they are perhaps already over-represented as it is. Better idea: make your repro 1861 into a "contractor" version. The majority of US 1861s were contractor made and there are 20 or so lock plate variations to pick from...

Last edited by Craig L Barry; 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
          X