Reshaping Slouch Hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshaping Slouch Hat?

I have a mosby style hat from Clearwater Hats that I got for Christmas in 2001. Since then it had shrunk a bit due to weather and my head. Since it is made of the standard beaver material, what is the best way to reform it a bit and maybe stretch it out? I do have a hat jack that I keep in my Hardee hat from Tim Bender.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Reshaping Slouch Hat?

For resizing, I have had good luck wetting my hats down, placing the hat jack in them and stretching them out a bit and then allowing it to dry. If you want to reshape it, working with it over a steaming tea kettle can be effective. There may be some more in-depth instructions hidden away that you might find using the search function. Seems to me I've read a few threads on this subject in the past.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, it has come up over the course of the Past and traditionally has ranged from trying to salvage cheap limp felt hats (aka so-called "Hilly Billy Hoods") all the way up to restiffening with diluted shellac to professional hatter services ending up with trying to recreate the style and look seen in images of CW soldiers.

Being a Clearwater hat, you should be fine with a warm water wetting and the use of the "hat jack' to stretch the size back from its shrinking.

If I read the post correctly, the question is more about the size than the form, shape, or style. But, if you want to reshape it, a little warm water soaking followed by molding and shaping it with your hands, and then allowing it to dry, should take of it.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Tim Bender has also provided some helpful information on his website here - http://benderhats.com/hatcare.html
        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
        X