Confederate Campaigning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Campaigning

I am needing help with campaigning. I have recently done away with the A frame and heater and went with the blanket and fire. Working from mainstream to authentic. I am looking for anything that explains what a soldier of AoT carried on the campaign. I have searched for it on here and possibly have overlooked it but I've had to no luck.

Thanks for your time
    Tim.
    Timothy Hallman

Re: Confederate Campaigning

Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee by Larry Daniel
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

You might take a look at the uniform and accouterments requirements for some of the Confederate reenacting groups. This will give you an idea of the kinds of equipment you are expected to have:

Obviously the particulars of the kind of uniform and the kinds of arms and that sort of thing will depend on the unit and the time of the war and the unit being portrayed.

But the link above gives you an idea of the kinds of equipment carried by an infantryman.

Steve

Edit: Well, Craig's source is much better. I see you can buy the book for $7, so that's a no-brainer.
      Steve Sheldon

Comment

Is there a thread on here about what they carried ration/food wise?
        Timothy Hallman

Comment

The suggested book has an excellent chapter on rations at various points in the war. As a synthetic secondary source, you can't beat Soldiering as a great start point for research.
          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

This section of the forum contains archived articles: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...earch-Articles

Read anything written by Charles Heath and heed the wise words found within.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Tim, welcome back! Glad to see you are still working on your campaign impression. Everyone has provided great advice for beginning your research. I would definitely second Joe’s comment about reading everything Mr. Heath posted.

My only addition would be read through regimental histories of different units in the AoT. Sometimes they can provide details on what the men were carrying and eating. If you are looking for information on a specific unit but cannot find what you are looking for expand your search to regiments that were brigaded with the unit that you are researching.
              If you have not already done so, I would encourage reading “Bloody Banners and Barefoot Boys”

Best of luck with your research and building your impression!
              Tyler Underwood
              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
              Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
              X