Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you strap to the top of your knapsack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you strap to the top of your knapsack?

Just curious what if anything, you guys strap to the top of the knapsack. Shelter half, gum blanket, blanket? Thanks.
    John Dunn

Re: What do you strap to the top of your knapsack?

If its gonna be cold, then my greatcoat. Otherwise nothing.
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks. Since you are the blanket collector, which repro blanket is most authentic? I have a nj@@@@@ , and a blanket from S&S of Gettysburg I bought around 4 years ago. I know there are many more such as Wisconsin vet, Matt Woodburn's etc.
      John Dunn

Comment

Just because I'm a collector (hoarder) doesn't mean I'm an expert. I just know your blanket can help keep me warm when its cold at night. You can have it back in the morning and carry it all day.

There are many repro blankets out there. And there are lots and lots of opinions. However based on the 2 you mentioned, the S&S blanket is. It compares very very favorably to originals for weight, color, and has the correct return selvage.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks for your opinion.
          John Dunn

Comment

I typically carry a blanket roll instead of a knapsack; that said, when scenario requires it, the top of my pack is like that of mike's above. If it's a spring or fall event, a greatcoat will be on top, otherwise usually nothing.
            However I have also carried a shelter half on top with the issued poles wrapped in the middle, and admit that I definitely wouldn't want to do any considerable march with it like that.
            Ryan Schuda
            Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
            Dirty First Mess

Comment

The straps on the top of the pack are indeed meant for an overcoat. The rest of the items you mentioned are meant to go inside the pack.

I agree with Mr. Schuda about carring anything else on the top of the pack, and even the overcoat will bounce around if not properly secured.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Gents, What type and style of pack are you making reference? I have a French pack and my Child's blanket can be easily "wrapped" around the outside of the pack and held in place with the 4 straps along with my folded and painted canvas ground cloth. I like to refer to myself as a (self contained unit) having everything I need in my pack or haversack, this type of pack is one of the reasons I have not went out and purchased another knap sack. Storage room inside the ability to carry a blanket and ground cloth on the outside and most of all... COMFORT !!
                Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

I think it is the Federal double-bag knapsack. Many of Mr. Dunn's questions stem from packing and the carriage of same.
                  Ivan Ingraham
                  AC Moderator

Comment

You are correct Ambrose! I also use a Ross pack (same as I & C pack) and I wear the blanket over the top and sides much like the French pack.
                    John Dunn

Comment

When I carry a double bag knapsack, I usually don't carry anything on top. If it will be cold, I'll make a blanket roll and knapsack combo.
                      Philip D. Brening
                      Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                      3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

To answer the original question, you can strap anything your first sergeant allows atop your knapsack. Period photos and first person accounts indicate that either the greatcoat or the blanket went there. Augustus Meyers describes pre-war regulars at inspection with fake greatcoat rolls (a section of stovepipe wrapped in kersey); an 1865 Army and Navy Journal FAQ says the blanket should go there (although the fact that the question arose at all at that late date says a lot). The attached has more, including a copy of the US Army's report on an experiment with knapsack weight.
                        Attached Files
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                        X