A Federal knapsack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Federal knapsack question

I have seen 1853/55 knapsacks advertised and originals offered for sale that have rivets instead of,or with stiching in attaching the leather to the knapsack body, and have exposed brass buttons on the shoulder straps with square cut ends rather than the scolloped ends. This style is known as the early pattern, and the one with just stiching are called the 1864 pattern. I have also seen ID'd knapsacks from Gettysburg in the so calked 1864 pattern. Which knapsack was more prevalent in the 1861-63 time frame? Thanks as always.
    John Dunn

Re: A Federal knapsack question

There have been discussions about these in the past on here. I'll only speak of my experience.

I had the privilege of speaking to the Curator at the QM Museum at Ft. Lee a couple of years ago. I got a chance to see the QM Civil War exhibit before opening day because I wanted to examine their original Essence of Coffee can with label. He showed me his personal photos of the Danish Exchange collection, including the knapsack. I don't know what pattern double-bag knapsack was sent over, but the leather straps were only sewn on (no rivets) with leather discs covering the studs and scalloped ends.

Just my .02¢, hope it helps.
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Re: A Federal knapsack question

Thanks again Mike for your help. I tried the search function, but didn't see anything. Maybe its just a contract thing-different pattern with different contracts, not a early vs late thing.
      John Dunn

Comment

Working...
      X