Civilian clothing for Confederate officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian clothing for Confederate officers

Ok guys, I've always heard that it you have authenticity questions this was the place to go.I've recently been voted Capt. of my unit so I'm in the market for Confederate Officer clothing. I know that officers were responsible for purchasing their own clothing so I would think with my original unit being from a poorer region of the upper Shennandoah Valley and being comprised mostly of farmers the officers may not have had the flashier uniforms. I've been looking at civilian trousers either in cordoroy, satinette, or even linen and a sack coat. My question is this.....would that be appropriate for the time frame of 1862-63? If so which material would you guys recommend? If not, what would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Scott Sizemore

Re: Civilian clothing for Confederate officers

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	225010
    As far as the Confederate Officer in Civilian clothing, heres a picture taken of a linen civilian sack coat used by a confederate colonel. This was 1864, in the west, but the concept is there.
    Ryan Schuda
    Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
    Dirty First Mess

Comment

Hi Scott, a few years ago John Pagano wrote up a fantastic article for building a CS officer impression. It is here on the forum. You may have to play around with the wording in the search bar but it is here and are a great resource for getting started.
      Best of luck!
      Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 02-06-2016, 10:42 AM.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I went ahead and did a Google search since I decided that I wanted to re-read the articles myself. I also turned up another good article on the Southern Division Website.

Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Some CS officer's in citizen's pattern sack coats in northern and west Virginia:
          check out John S. Mosby's sack coat:

or Maj. Thomas Marshall of Ashby's cavalry/7th Va. Cav.:
          Colonel Thomas A. Marshall, Jr., was a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War. He was also a believer in the one true God and demonstrated his devotion to his Lord and Savior on and off the …

Here is an image of Jesse McNiell in a sack coat and cav. boots; second in command of Hanse McNeil's scouts:

cheers,
          Archie Marshall
          Last edited by floridawar; 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM.
          James "Archie" Marshall
          The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
          Tampa, FL

Comment

Scott,
            This is not exactly an answer to the question you asked but it is another idea that you may wish to consider. The following link is to the description of a jacket which was up for auction back in October.

Richmond Depot Type II Jacket from 2nd Lieutenant John James Haines, 2nd Virginia Infantry for sale in auction. Auction Number 2856M, Lot Number 147. Bid on similar items for sale at auction

It is a very interesting example which is from the estate of the late Denis Reen who got it from the family. Based upon your handle, 4thvainfantry, you may be particularly interested in it as it was worn by a 2nd Lt. in the 2nd Va also of the Stonewall Brigade. This is a superb example of an officer jacket being "morphed" from a standard enlisted man's RD2. It is also one of the best looking examples I have seen. The jacket, despite the fact that it is made of EAC, can be dated to late 1862 or very early 1863 based upon the service record of the owner. The description of the lot has some very nice pictures as well. John J. Haines was from the Winchester/Berkeley area of Western Va. He was a merchant in Berkeley who joined the 2nd Va as a private in March, 1862 and was promoted (probably voted) to 2nd Lt in April of the same year as part of the reorganization that occurred due to the Conscription Act when existing units had to elect new officers.

With elite units like the regiments of the Stonewall Brigade, an attempt to be dressed in proper military "duds" would have been an expectation by the mid to late 1862 period. Remember "old Jack" still was around. Should you decide to do military instead of civilian then this is an excellent period correct alternative.

Just my $0.02

Dick Milstead
            Hardaway's Alabama Battery
            The Company of Military Historians
            Last edited by rmilstead; 02-10-2016, 02:56 PM.
            Richard Milstead

Comment

You may find this past article on my blog of interest as well: http://26nc.org/blog/?m=201403
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
              X