X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC blanket

Pards,
    I already did a search and couldnt find the answer to my question. So I have come here for your guidance. I know that the blanket that was blue with a red stiched "NC" was issued, but what about a tan one with a brown stiched "NC", As shown on the regimental quartermasters website?
    [SIZE=1]Your Obt. Servant,[/SIZE]
    Tyler Murphy
    6th N.C.S.T
    [I]"The Shirkers Mess"[/I]

Re: NC blanket

Tyler,

First of all, Regimental Quartermaster is a standard sutler row vendor. While they do have a campaigner line and are attempting to sell some authentic items, do not be confused that all their wares are authentic.

That said, I think you are reading their site wrong. The brown blankets they sell in their "campaigner" don't have a stitched "NC." Both are US issue blankets with a stitched "US" and both are authentic. (One is the Keagy-Noble and the other is from FHW)
    John Stillwagon

Comment

Mr Stillwagon,
      I know that Regt.Quart. are sutler row. The blanket I am talking about is not in their "Campaigner" line, it is under blankets. I was just wondering if it was ever issued.
      Tyler Murphy
      6th N.C.S.T

Comment

Tyler,

I think you just answered your own question. :wink_smil
        John Stillwagon

Comment

Ohhh........ had to think on that one. Thank you Mr. Stillwagon.
          Tyler Murphy
          6th N.C.S.T

Comment

I called about their tan blanket with the brown "NC". I was told the blanket is authentic and comes with a sheet which provides the source gives the documentation.

Thumper
            [SIZE=4]Tom Glaze[FONT=Georgia]

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
              I called about their tan blanket with the brown "NC". I was told the blanket is authentic and comes with a sheet which provides the source gives the documentation.

Thumper
              They are perhaps wrong and they are not approved vendors.

The only ''tan'' blanket associated with NC is a horribly faded and broken example. That is if we are refering to the style from the Warthen or Maryland collections.

Ray Bass looked at a tan blanket in the early 1980's and found it to be a post war militia/state guard issue. The stiched ''NC'' mirrored a slate-blue and all it's asymmetry. That is a red flag. Bass was the first to throughly document two examples of the slate-blue kerseys with the scarlet NC.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 08-30-2004, 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Please consult:

"Three "NC" Blankets" by Frederick Gaede, The Company Journal Vol 41 Issue 3 p. 157
                Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Keagy-Noble made a very nice reproduction of these blankets, as did Mr. Childs. Your best bet would be to get your hands on one of those. Plan on spending a few dollars though. Good luck.

Rich Croxton
                  Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

At the top of their "Blankets" page it states:

All of the blankets listed below are of high quality and manufactured by Woolrich - a supplier during the Civil War.

This is a dead give away since Woolrich does not make anything in 100% wool. Also, look at the price compaired to the quality reproductions. Another sure sign that it is not up to par.

My 2 cents.
                    Timothy J. Koehn
                    Boone's Louisiana Battery
                    Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                    http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Since RQ offers a "money back guarantee" and promised to include documentation, I ordered one of their brown NC blankets just to see what I would get.

It came yesterday and is nothing more than their "1861 Emergency" blanket with NC stitched in the middle. There was no documentation.

To their credit they did not hesitate about allowing me to return the blanket for a full refund.

Thumper

Tom,

Forum rules require you to sign your FULL name to your posts. You promised to read/acknowledge/abide our rules when you applied to our forum.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

Please consider this your First Warning

Scott McKay, moderator
                      Authentic Campaigner Forums

Comment

Since RQ offers a "money back guarantee" and promised to include documentation, I ordered one of their brown NC blankets just to see what I would get.

It came yesterday and is nothing more than their "1861 Emergency" blanket with NC stitched in the middle. There was no documentation.

To their credit they did not hesitate about allowing me to return the blanket for a full refund.

Thumper
                        Tom Glaze

Comment

We are perhaps smarter than we look.
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

With all the really excellent reprodution blankets on the market today, there really is no excuse to buy a questionable piece from a "sutler". Do I need to coment on surplus blankets?
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

There are many valid reasons for the Approved Vendor concept and list.
                              Why are we discussing "sutler row" vendor products on the AC Forum?

Being a rhetorical question, (one not requiring an answer), I am closing this thread.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                              Moderator.
                              Curt Schmidt
                              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                              -Vastly Ignorant
                              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                              X