Authentic confederate officer collar rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic confederate officer collar rank

Got an authenticity question for everyone. I have recently been "promoted" to the rank of Captain of my unit. I am trying to put together as correct a kit as possible....including little details. My question is about collar rank. I have viewed several originals and realize that the modern "reenactment " collar rank isn't necessarily correct. The rank with the background to it doesn't seem to be prevalent. My question is this....what materials were originally used and does anyone know where I can find such materials? Thanks everyone!
    Scott Sizemore

Re: Authentic confederate officer collar rank

Scott - the rank sold today is on the backing for ease of manufacture and handling. Most of us carefully cut the backing away and then sew the bars onto the collar. its a pain, but correct for most originals.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Thanks Doug. I figured that to be the case...but I wanted to be absolutely positive! Thanks again!

Scott
      Scott Sizemore

Comment

An alternative to cutting away the backing is to use a seam ripper to remove the metallic tape from the backing entirely, and then sewing the bars directly to the collar. However, this won't work if the gold bits are embroidered directly to the backing.

Last edited by LeftCoastYank; 02-16-2016, 06:48 PM.
        Dave Schwartz,
        Company B, 79th NY Vols.
        (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

You can also buy the metallic braid/tape in the width you want. That way you are sure of it being correct for your impression and you don't run the risk of damaging the rank when you go to remove it from the backing.

If you are removing it, take your time (don't ask me how I know this...).

Metallic tape might be purchased from The Button Baron, one of our Approved Vendors, and there are other sutlers on the market who have it. I will not endorse any one over another, but the trims and tapes are generally sold by specialty dealers. A Google search should yield results.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help! Is the width of the bars a personal preference thing is are there regulations? Sorry for all the questions but I want this done correctly!
            Scott Sizemore

Comment

I would go with about 1/4" or 3/8" metallic tape. The same tap can be used for sleeve braid, when desired.

Snip to your desired length + 1/2". Tuck under the last 1/4" on either side and stitch to the collar
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X