Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, early war Virginia impression input needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, early war Virginia impression input needed.

First off I'd like to say hello, I'm Kev. Last year was my first year reeneacting. Now that I know I love it, I'd like to shed my noob far by impression. I am going to do a early war Virginia impression. The unit I am a part of is the 30th VA Infantry. It start I recently purchased a private made version RD I from Wambaugh, White & Co. Does anyone know how correct Jarnigan's "confederate gray" would be for a kepi and trousers? I currently have richmond gray from C&C that I'd like to upgrade. Also any suggestions for accouterments for ealy war virginia would be great, haversack, belt buckle etc.

Thank you
    Kevin Godek
    Kevin Godek

Re: New member, early war Virginia impression input needed.

Welcome aboard. I highly recommend trying the search function on the forum as most of your questions have been answered before. Limiting yourself to a specific unit and timeframe will limit your opportunities on the authentic side of things. The majority of us do impressions based on the event scenario. It takes a good bit of time and research.

You are on the right track with WW and Co. C and C and Jarnigan will not make the cut for authentic events. Read the book "Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown". You will learn a lot about fabrics and colors that are appropriate.

If you are set on portraying a specific unit then I highly recommend reading the unit history and every first hand account available for that unit. You'll answer a lot of your questions that way. That being said taking a broader approach will be more rewarding.

The best advice I can offer is to do your research. It is more rewarding and will get you further than spoon fed information questions.
    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM.
    Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
    SCAR

Comment

Great, thank you for the advice.
      Kevin Godek

Comment

In addition to what Mr. Ferringer said there are some other things to consider. I just looked in the 30th Va. regimental history by Krick. Not much help from the pictures as they are all different uniforms. Richmond Gray is a color designation used by Jarnigan years ago. Doesn't translate to anything but their color. Depot issued clothing almost never matched due to supply issues. Commutation trousers may have matched the coat but it depends on what the company ordered. I would not try to match the material color of the coat and trousers. Also buy the best kepi and trousers from reputable dealers that you can afford. A bad cap stands out like a sore thumb. Good Luck.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Can you recommend a reputable kepi dealer? I was looking at Nj sek?

Thank you for the advice!
          Kevin Godek

Comment

Originally posted by kevo600 View Post
            Can you recommend a reputable kepi dealer?
            The best answer to that, no offense to other makers, is Greg Starbuck.
            Bryan Beard
            Virginian

Comment

Hi and Welcome!

I looked up the "Approved Vendor",since haven't looked at it in quite a while, and suggest you take a look. However, there are several vendors that are top-notch but not on the list.

"N. Sek." definitely has caps and other items
              Aforementioned Mr. Starbuck is great
              S&S Sutler in Gettysburg usually has high quality caps in stock - worth contacting
              Facebook groups and sale pages often have good deals on high quality caps where you might come across some "vintage" reproductions by Paul Smith, as well as some made by Lukas Berg.

Best of luck!
              [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X