Confederate forage caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate forage caps

I was thinking about getting a Confederate forage cap I have heard my unit was issued them at some point. I just want to know thoughts about them and if they should have any black piping on them? Thank you.
    Pat Stephens

Re: Confederate forage caps

It depends on whether or not the forage caps issued to or bought for your unit had them. Need to do some research.
    Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Thank you!
      Pat Stephens

Comment

Hallo!

As a General Rule for a top-rate impression....avoid "heard."

What does Primary and Secondary source material and reference R & D (Research & Documentation) have to say abut the unit, time, and place being portrayed?

Some Confederate units (some Georgia) did use black as their "branch of service" color. However, it was exceptionally rare in general and particular rare when talking about piped forage caps. Especially so as the War progressed and the strangle hold of the Union blockade started to make black dyes scarcer.

By and large, piping on forge caps, any where, any time, in any color....is not commonly found or seen.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X