Hat Cords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat Cords

Photos of original 1858 army hats with hat cords indicate the cords were tightly woven, with little or no "fuzziness" sticking out. The repro cords I have are fuzzy and don't look right. Where can I get a more authentic hat cord, or failing that, is there a way to remove the errant threads? I may try shaving them with a safety razor.
    Last edited by Will Hickox; 04-25-2016, 07:29 PM.
    Will Hickox

Re: Hat Cords

The fuzziness you are refering to is the main cord or the tassel at the end?

If the main cord- you can hit it with a torch (off the hat) and singe the lil hairs. BE CAREFUL to do it lightly or you will discolor the cord. I have had success aging wool fabric this way, and you could really see if you hat cord was 100% wool or not! :roll eyes:

Then there is the alternative, I know a few suppliers sell the correct hat cord, but are not AC approved vendors. I have been a bit offline, so there may also be an AC Approved Vendor supplying them, if so- see them as well!
    Mitchell L Critel
    Wide Awake Groupie
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Will, I am by no means an expert on enlisted hat cords. But I would venture to say the "fuzziness" you speak of is due to how tightly the wool was spun. Period wool cord should be about half the diameter of the modern stuff and a much tight twist.
      As far as obtaining a quality cord I am not sure of anyone who makes them.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thanks, Mitchell and Tyler. I've found authentic officer cords (which enlisted men sometimes wore) but not good enlisted versions. I may try Mitchell's tip and try not to burn the house down.

Look at period photos closely enough and you'll see all sorts of weird soldier things. From an image of Union cavalrymen at Manassas in March 1862: Is this guy wearing his hat cords under his hat or did he cut a hole in his hat and pull them through?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cw manassas mar 62 cav hats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	225062

Source: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003000021/PP/

Mitchell, by the way the fuzziness is on both the cords and the tassels but most annoyingly apparent on the tassels.
        Last edited by Will Hickox; 04-25-2016, 10:33 PM.
        Will Hickox

Comment

Hallo!

Some WWII lads deal with overly "fuzzy" Chinese woolens by one or more of these techniques:

1. singeing with a propane torch (some end up blackening or burning)
          2. shaving with a "sweater shaver" (aka pill shaver)
          3. shaving with an actual razor

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
            Hallo!

Some WWII lads deal with overly "fuzzy" Chinese woolens by one or more of these techniques:

1. singeing with a propane torch (some end up blackening or burning)
            2. shaving with a "sweater shaver" (aka pill shaver)
            3. shaving with an actual razor

Curt
            Thanks, Curt. I think I will try the shaving method if I can't find a better set of cords. After looking at more images of originals and more closely, I do see one or two cords that have "fuzz," but the majority I've seen are of better quality.
            Will Hickox

Comment

S&S Sutler of Gettysburg had authentic infantry had cords three years ago. It is a night and day difference to the sutler row hat cords. Check with them they, may still have what you want.
              Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

I've been pointed in the direction of Sutler of Fort Scott, who has some cords left. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
                Will Hickox

Comment

Regarding the image I posted above and the subjects of hats and cords, a supplier with lots of knowledge and experience (who wishes to remain anonymous) told me this:

"It should be noted that the hat lanyard’s genesis was not merely as an embellishment or ornament to a dress hat. It was a functional piece of equipment. It could be used to tighten the hat down around the head and also be utilized in windy and inclement weather with the hat brim pulled down over the ears and the lanyard wrapped around the top of the hat and then tightened under the chin. (the tassels and acorns were actually a form of knot handle to pull the cord tight by) It is possible that this fellow has punched holes on the sides of the hat where the brim meets the crown and put the lanyard through to utilize as a chin strap without having to put the brim sides up or down. I have seen these holes on original hats. (the tassels could be removed by pushing the cord through and untying the end so the cord could be adjusted in length or passed through the hole, and then replaced) This is why the overall length is often in need of shortening by the fellow who has no intention of using it as anything more than a fancy bobble.
                  The modern and less practical man, paying a fine sum for his authentic reproduction hat may be loathe to do such a thing that might render his chapeau somewhat less attractive than it was beforehand. Those issue the 1858 pattern hat as their primary form of protection in the field, as opposed to a dress topper, were much less reticent to personalize and abuse the thing within a few miles on the march. Of course he was also willing to take the time to re-block it – even if crudely when he had the opportunity. Some dress the hat with substances that allowed the re-stiffen it without the prescribed methods at hand.
                  This leads me back to the hat lanyard and your fuzzy question. In examining many original over the years – it is unclear that the lack of fuzz is due to a tighter weave or simple age and the fuzz has simply worn off. It is likely a combination of several factors including those two. Rather than the tightness of the weave though I see that many originals are made with a more coarse more oily wool than many of the softer dryer reproductions. (even those in unissued condition which had little handling – the used ones could have simply been matted down from soiling oil from handling) Rather than trying to shave it or burn it off if need be and risking damage – my suggestion would be to lightly dress the lanyard with any number of substances
                  which when rubbed down would adhere the fuzzy end back on the woven cord. One modern item which I have successfully used in artifact museum restoration and aging of textiles is simple pump hair spray, rubbed in by hand."
                  Will Hickox

Comment

After a remarkably quick turn around, I received my infantry enlisted hat lanyard today from Sutler of Fort Scott. It's excellent and much closer to the details of originals I've seen than the "fuzzy" one I had.
                    Will Hickox

Comment

Working...
                    X