Question about training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about training

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it moderators. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the physical training of soldiers besides just the drill aspect any information would be appreciated.
    Ross Taylor.

Re: Question about training

I don't think any was done.
    Upton added some exercises to his drill book but I think it was more as a form of morning gymnastic or for warm up before doing drill?

Suggest your look it up. If He added it, it was likely based on something at least some units actually did during the war.
    Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Bayonet drill is some dang good exercise. In the Preface of McClellan's Bayonet Manual he wrote "It proved to be an excellent gymnastic exercise, a useful amusement, and gave the men great additional confidence in them**selves and their weapons."
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

From the introduction of a danish book on how you train an infantry battalion made up of conscripts.

"Navnlig ville øvelserne i bajonetfægtning, gymnastik og svømning være et virksomt middel til at udvikle soldatens legeme og for de førstes vedkommende tillige til at give ham mere tillid til sit våben."

Especially drills in bayonet fencing, gymnastics and swimming are good tools in developing the body of the soldier and in the case of the first giving him more confidence in his weapon.

It do have gymnastics and swimming, but drill with the bayonet is seen as very important for both body and confidence. And rather similar to what McClellan wrote

And if seen in a modern light. An hour of proper bayonet drill and I think the body get a good workout. With the weight of the musket you do actually mode some kg around and with some of the parries and different attacks it get moved a lot.
        Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Here is information on physical training from Casey's.

School of the Soldier, paragraphs 121-124:

121. The double quick step may be executed with different degrees of swiftness. Under urgent circumstances the cadence of this step may be increased to one hundred and eighty per minute. At this rate a distance of four thousand yards would be passed over in about twenty-five minutes.
          122. The recruits will be exercised also in running.
          123. The principles are the same as for the double quick step, the only difference consisting in a greater degree of swiftness.
          124. It is recommended in marching at double quick time, or the run, that the men should breathe as much as possible through the nose, keeping the mouth closed. Experience has proved that, by conforming to this principle, a man can pass over a much longer distance, and with less fatigue.
          Paragraph 121 describes a pace equal to an 11 minute mile, which is a nice jog. (Incidentally, it also reinforces that the double quick step is a nice jog, and not a sprint)

School of the Soldier, paragraphs 418-422:

418. The instructor will cause to be resumed the exercises in double quick time and the run, with arms and knapsacks.
          420. He will cause long marches to be executed in double quick time, both by the front and by the flank, and by constant practice will lead the men to pass over a distance of five miles in sixty minutes. The pieces will be carried on either shoulder, and sometimes at a trail.
          421. He will also exercise them in long marches at a run, the pieces carried at will; the men will be instructed to keep as united as possible, without however exacting much regularity, which is impracticable.
          422. The run, in actual service, will only be resorted to when it may be highly important to reach a given point with great promptitude.
          Paragraph 420 describes a 12 minute mile with packs and rifles.
          Daniel Griego
          "Elmer Divens"
          High Private
          Woodtick Mess

Comment

Working...
          X