Quality sword replicas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality sword replicas?

Here is a topic near and dear to my heart.
    I own a Wilkinson sword custom made for me for the 1860's era British Rifle Regiments presented to me by my wife and my mother when I became Regimental Sergeant Major. It would serve very well as the only real difference is the etching on the blade, which says ER instead of VR. The whole sword is light and the blade as flexible as a whip. My wife would kill me if I took it into the field. When I became an officer I searched sutlers row for a foot officer's sword. As everyone has said they are junk or superior junk.
    An officer in the Gurkhas told me that craftsmen beat out swords and kuhkris at the side of the road from old truck springs. I believe him as most Indo Pakistani replicas weigh a ton and are poorly made with no balance and grossly overweight.
    To fill the gap I bought a sutlers row sword for $200 and hated it instantly. I had the pleasure of helping out a newly minted officer by selling it for $35. I used a lighter incorrect sword for a year and will toss it onto the field as battlefield refuse at the next reenactment.
    I wrote to the people producing Ames swords several times asking about weight and each time received the same catalogue.
    I am tired of carrying truck springs that weigh me down and look ludicrous.
    I am after a period British sword as they are reasonably priced and were used.
    In the meantime, while in Gettysburg last month, I toured the usual sutlers row stores looking for antiques and the elusive painted blanket. I found an Indian sword with a leather scabbard and of a decent weight and balance, obviously from a high end truck. The grip wrapping was a nice double twist, though on leather. The brass castings were nicely done and the scabbard is very brilliant.
    I can live with this until I find the one I want that won't offend me or those in the know.
    Maybe my Wilkinson might venture into the field when my darling bride is not looking. I am sure that my mother would approve.
    Wilkonson does not make swords now.

Erik Simundson
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Although not Union swords, I think during the 1970s or so, a guy in St. Louis had a batch of Confederate Swords made. I cannot think of the guys name, but sometimes these swords pop up from time to time. I picked up a Kenansville, NC sword and it really does have a heavier weight than the stuff out now. Does anyone have any additional information on these old repro Confederate swords?

Dan Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Here is a topic near and dear to my heart.
        I own a Wilkinson sword custom made for me for the 1860's era British Rifle Regiments presented to me by my wife and my mother when I became Regimental Sergeant Major. It would serve very well as the only real difference is the etching on the blade, which says ER instead of VR. The whole sword is light and the blade as flexible as a whip. My wife would kill me if I took it into the field. When I became an officer I searched sutlers row for a foot officer's sword. As everyone has said they are junk or superior junk.
        An officer in the Gurkhas told me that craftsmen beat out swords and kuhkris at the side of the road from old truck springs. I believe him as most Indo Pakistani replicas weigh a ton and are poorly made with no balance and grossly overweight.
        To fill the gap I bought a sutlers row sword for $200 and hated it instantly. I had the pleasure of helping out a newly minted officer by selling it for $35. I used a lighter incorrect sword for a year and will toss it onto the field as battlefield refuse at the next reenactment.
        I wrote to the people producing Ames swords several times asking about weight and each time received the same catalogue.
        I am tired of carrying truck springs that weigh me down and look ludicrous.
        I am after a period British sword as they are reasonably priced and were used.
        In the meantime, while in Gettysburg last month, I toured the usual sutlers row stores looking for antiques and the elusive painted blanket. I found an Indian sword with a leather scabbard and of a decent weight and balance, obviously from a high end truck. The grip wrapping was a nice double twist, though on leather. The brass castings were nicely done and the scabbard is very brilliant.
        I can live with this until I find the one I want that won't offend me or those in the know.
        Maybe my Wilkinson might venture into the field when my darli
        ng bride is not looking. I am sure that my mother would approve.
        Wilkonson does not make swords now.

Erik Simundson
        That is hilarious. I can't wait to brandish my brand-new spring-with-a-hilt! Actually, while on the subject (and to move this thread entirely off-topic), this whole experience is really exposing my ignorance. I was recently elected commander of my SVR company. My entire four years in the hobby has been occupied by seeking the experience of and learning about the common man in the war. Suddenly shifting gears, I'm finding there's a real dearth of information as easily obtained on the life of the officer as compared to the private. Maybe it's because officers in the hobby have been around long enough that this stuff sort of seeps in over time. I do feel I'm fast-forwarding into pretty unknown territory. Some close to me say I'm putting too much effort into it, as the others in my SVR unit are pretty satisfied with whatever Pakistan is producing. I figure those of us with ancestors from the war have a greater obligation than others to get it right as much as possible. Thus, I'm striving to get it right with regard to how to accurately portray an officer, and really playing catch up. There's no CRRC II (or even 1) to easily reference.

I'm not complaining; we're all responsible to research on our own (if this site has taught me anything, it's that), and I've only just begun to research. I'm figuring it out as I'm going along, but I'm just saying this to express that I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't really encountered the same level of attention and modern resources paid to the officer as I have toward the enlisted man. Obviously, with way more 'Indians' than 'Chiefs', one would expect that research would mostly benefit the many, not the few. Just saying.

Respectfully,
        Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Hello,

I second what Mr. Cross has said on the M-1850 foot swords. If you are patient enough and have an ebay account you can pick up a Klingenthal or other French import of the 1850 foot sword, with rayskin covered handle, NO SCABBARD, etc. for 300-350.00 or so, given the condition. Sword Restoration Services "the guy" can custom fit a repro scabbard to fit your blade. However, you have to send him the sword for the fitting. I would'nt suggest taking a contemporary scabbard into the field. OR you can buy the standard Legendary Arms stuff and get half the quality. Just like these men have expressed in this and many other similar threads, Legendary Arms is just "better junk". If you do go this route and have it "de-farbed", i.e. recovering the handle, removing INDIA, etc. over time and hard use you might get the look down pretty good. A fellow in the Trans-Miss. Rifles carries one of these you would bet was real, but heck after 20 years in the hobby and 20 repairs it might as well be!

Good Luck
          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

If you simply put the word "swords" into the search engine here you will see a boat load of threads on the subject.

But to condense it, in my opinion it comes down to:

1. An original with original scabbard or repro scabbard by SRS (see below), with cleanup/repair by SRS.

2. Ordnance Park made (defunct mid 80's but some still floating around). My 1850 and 1840 arty are the closest things to originals in size, weight and balance I have seen on the repro side.

3. Typical foreign repro but again you can get help from SRS.

SRS website: http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/index.htm
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The question was asked in this thread about a run of Confederate officers' swords which appeared in the 1970s. I was taken-in by an alleged Boyle & Gamble foot officer's sword in the early '70s, sold at an antique show in Greenville, S.C. No grip, no scabbard, and looked rather like it had been in a fire. Found out soon thereafter it was made in Spain last Thursday, so to speak, one of a lot supposedly shipped over here in brine barrels to age and patina. Did get my money back.
              Then to prove I'm close to a complete twit, I was taken-in by an alleged Nashville Plow Works sabre at a gunshop in Bristol, Virginia soon after. Knew the grip was wrong (rationalized it was rewrapped). What fooled me was the scabbard. Still have that puppy, an ongoing lesson that if it's for sale at a quarter an original's fair market value, it's probably overpriced. Must be a chance of these Boyle & Gambles, Nashville Plow Works, Kennanvilles, and perhaps other 1970s fakes out there. With a little work on the grips and mayhap addition of a scabbard, they'd make excellent reenactor pieces. As to "the guy from St. Louis" who sold them, I don't recall he attempted fraud, but these blades soon got into the market like well made belt plate repros, trapping the unwary and ignorant like, uh, me.
              The early 1970s was also the hay-day of an outfit called the "CSS Alabama, Ltd". They purported to have found that famous ship and to have salvaged it. Their ads in "The Shotgun News" issues of the day made ones mouth water, mixing genuine artifacts, mostly British made, with profoundly questionable oddments and extraordinary fantasy belt plates (C.S. Marine Corps and the like). I still see the latter floating around current gunshows.
              Last edited by David Fox; 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM.
              David Fox

Comment

I agree. Those centenial swords are out there purported to be original. Some have original parts/scabbards. One friend used a "black light" to help determine if it is makeshift parts sword by different shades under the light. Seems like those NPWs are the most faked. With some salt water and amonia, the patina comes right up.

Joe Walker
                Waco Guards

Comment

I purchased an original 1850 Foot Officer's sword at the Nashville Civil War show (thanks to my friend Tim Prince) for I think $300. I sent it off to Tom Nardi, and he wrapped the handle and made a scabbard for around $180. In my opinion, save your money and get an original. Its worth the wait and they are out there. I just wish I had not sold mine!

Justin
                  [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                  [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                  "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

If someone has already posted this, I apologize, But have you tried ebay on this item? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=022
                    Tony Evans[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

"I ain't no damn Yank, I'm a Rebel." My Father's reply to an Australian greeting during WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                      If you simply put the word "swords" into the search engine here you will see a boat load of threads on the subject.
                      I'm well acquainted with the search function here. I read every post I could find here on the subject. However, nothing addressed my specific question to my satisfaction, so I asked. I don't mean to cross swords (if you'll allow the pun), but I'm no newbie here. I don't open my e-mouth until I've exhausted all other options.

On the other hand, typing 'SRS' into the search engine yields nothing, so thanks for providing some information heretofore unknown to me or the current forum. I'm glad I asked!

Your Obedient Servant,
                      Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Also looking for a good replica of an 1850 Foot Officer or other US sword and found this thread. Any updated information about other makers out there? Thanks.
                        [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/j5w1lj.jpg[/IMG]

Paul Arentz
                        Co. K, 100th PA Vols.

Comment

Working...
                        X