Gum blanket / trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gum blanket / trousers

I've been looking around, and there is nothing really posted anywhere recently that I could find. Is there a good quality, authentic, place to get a groundcloth/gum blanket?

Also, what are the thoughts, as far as authenticity, with CD Jarnigan's Federal trousers? They claim that the quality of their trousers "surpass all other makers." Well that's great, but is their product up to par with authenticity standards?

Thank you for any insight. I've been in the field for 15 years now. I have finally decided that mainstream, although great fun for all those years, no longer really does if for me. I'm looking for something more. So, when the wife is unable to join me and keep me in the mainstream unit, I want to venture into the authentic side. So guidance is much appreciated as I figure a way to buy, and afford, my own gear "makeover". Thanks!
    Scott Rollins
    Florida Bastards Mess

3rd US Co. C
    1st FL Co. D (Walton Guard)

"It's just like shooting squirrels. Only these squirrels have guns."
    -US Drill Instructor to new recruits. c.1864

Re: Gum blanket / trousers

There is a guy in New Jersey who makes very nice gum blankets.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Here's a great source!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Welcome! Glad to have more interest in this side of the hobby, which is different, not necessarily better. To your question, unfortunately nothing Jarnagin makes uniform-wise meets the requirements for uniform guidelines to attend our events.

Wambaugh and White, among others, make kits and finished goods that are excellent for the makeover you seek.

For ground cover, you can also opt for a painted infantry blanket from LD Haning. Tim Welch is an approved vendor and the items he produces are top-notch. The painted cloth blanket is a variation that we should see more of, in my opinion.

Rubber or cloth will meet requirements, however.

Use the search engine to look around for other threads on the topic. There is a lot of information on this site.

Good luck with your transition. Hope to see you in the field with us soon.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

L.D. Haning

Please Note:

Please sign your full name to your posts per the agreement you checked when you registered. You can automatically show your signature by going to your page and amending it there. Thanks, and we welcome your continued participation on the AC. Thanks, Ivan Ingraham, AC Moderator

Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 05-17-2016, 07:16 PM.
          Brett Hastings

Comment

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice. I will definitely be looking into all of those.

Hope to see you in the field soon!
            Scott Rollins
            Florida Bastards Mess

3rd US Co. C
            1st FL Co. D (Walton Guard)

"It's just like shooting squirrels. Only these squirrels have guns."
            -US Drill Instructor to new recruits. c.1864

Comment

I just bought a gum blanket from lererarsenal and the service and product were both top-notch. I think that the owner is in Germany, so i make take a couple of weeks to receive it, I think I got mine in a 1 1/2 wks. A little bit more expensive because of the exchange from Federal currency to the Euro, but it was worth it, in exchange for great customer service. It was also easy to pay for through Paypal. Good Luck.
              David Musser
              9th Regt OVI
              73rd Regt OVI.
              David Musser

Comment

Jarnagin Federal trousers are constructed from twilled wool kersey. No other maker uses the correct fabric. I would rather sacrifice construction details for a more
                authentic overall impression, at least in trousers. Kersey drapes differently, as seen in period photographs. But that's just me.
                [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
                SUVCW, SVR,
                Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
                Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Working...
                X