Enfield Bayonet Locking Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield Bayonet Locking Ring

I recently acquired one of the "Salter" reproduction Enfield bayonets that Blockade Runner sells. It actually fits the barrel of my Pedersoli 3 Band Enfield nicely. The problem I am having is that the bayonet bottoms out before the locking ring can slide just under the sight. I thought about removing the locking ring and grinding the bottom of the ring to remove some material. Any suggestions? I tried searching for prior threads but I did not find anything similar. I also tried to attach some photos.
    Thanks
    Jeff Elmore

Click image for larger version

Name:	0623161a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	231955Click image for larger version

Name:	0623161b.jpg
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	231956
    Jeff Elmore

Lincoln Lodge 137 AF&AM
    Gen. Robert F. Hoke, Col. William J. Hoke Camp #1616 NC SCV
    Gov. Zebulon Baird Vance Chapter At Large #1 NC MOoSB
    Capt. George Dickey Chapter NCSSAR

Re: Enfield Bayonet Locking Ring

'morning,

In my experience, it's actually easier to lengthen the slot than to reduce the ring.

Good luck!
    Calum
    Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
    www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
    http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

The bayonet is bottoming out against the brass nose cap. The slot is long enough but the bayonet can't slide down far enough to allow the ring to slide past the front sight into the locking position.
      Thanks
      Jeff Elmore
      Jeff Elmore

Lincoln Lodge 137 AF&AM

Comment

Hallo!

It can be hard to impossible to diagnose things without having gun in hand or seeing it, but...

it is "sounding" like the front sight/bayonet stud needs to be taken off and soldered back in the location that allows the slot and locking ring to be where they need to be to work. (You cannot easily shortened the end-of-stock to muzzle distance, and it is really really hard to shorten the socket length.)

Short of that, IMHO, is getting a better quality bayonet.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This is an original P53 bayonet attached to a original Tower. Notice the nice fit with no barrel protrusion from the bayonet. Your sight may be in the right place and the bayonet is the problem. You need to check the position of the sight. If it is about 1 & 3/16 from the end of the muzzle the problem is probably the bayonet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P53 ram rod fit.jpg
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	225091
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Or, what I recommended in The Civil War Musket for those situations, remove the nose cap and shave off some wood from the end of the stock. You can also grind down the locking ring a bit or replace it with an original locking ring. The problem with those India made bayonets is they are all off in some way or another, so it is difficult to make any firm recommendations one way or another with regards to whether you should return it and get a replacement. If you got another bayonet it might have some other oddball problem.
            Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-24-2016, 10:28 PM.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I very much appreciate all of the comments. For now I opted to grind the bottom of the locking ring until it would slide into the locking position. After grinding the ring I used some emery paper to remove any sharp edges and touched up the bluing with some Birchwood Casey Gun Blue. I'm still not happy with the way it is sitting against the nose cap but it fits tight and doesn't wobble around the barrel. I guess I can use it this way until I find a better fitting bayonet. Lesson learned, bayonets are like clothing, better to try it on before you purchase.
              Thanks
              Jeff Elmore
              Jeff Elmore

Lincoln Lodge 137 AF&AM

Comment

Jeff -

I concur that the problem is most likely the bayonet itself. The real fix is to get another bayonet of better quality. Yes you can modify to make-do, but I would be looking to replace it down the road.

I purchased a really nice Enfield blued socket and shank reproduction bayonet from John Zimmerman in Harpers Ferry that eclipsed every repro bayonet out there. John may have a source that produces a better quality bayonet. I don't know if he still has them or not. My only regret is that I did not pick up two while I was at it. Granted - it may have cost nearly 3X's what the sutler-row variety run, but the final product is more than well worth it.., and it was still cheaper than a very fine+ original...

The problem beside the fit is that ugly-assed weld-job where the shank and socket are married together. If there is an original out there that looks like that - I have not seen it yet.
                R. L. (Rick) Harding, Jr.
                United States Marine Corps 1971-1972
                Life Member - Disabled American Veterans
                Capt., ret. - Trans-Mississippi Rifles
                Member - Co. F, 1st Arkansas Infantry Battalion, TMB
                Member - TMR Veteran's Assoc.
                Member - Morehouse Guards, 3LA

Comment

No, in terms of that area where the shoulder meets the socket... the originals do not look like the reproductions that way either. I picked up a decent original off ebay for not much more than a reproduction costs, I think it was $60. Fits well, good locking ring, looks good etc.
                  Craig L Barry
                  Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                  Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                  Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                  Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                  X