Hardee's Brigade musketry..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee's Brigade musketry..

My son and I have been borrowing and using Euroarms Enfields (not defarbed models) for our first year of reenacting. It is now time to purchase our own firearms, and so my "farby" type question....is the Enfield the only historically accurate musket for Hardee's Brigade (we are 8th Florida), or would a Springfield or Richmond (defarbed) be acceptable? We are representing late "62" through "63" in our planned presentations. Any thoughts you experienced fellows (or gals) can share would be greatly appreciated.
    Rick Norton
    8th Florida Co.B
    Spring Hill, Florida
    rnorton7@tampabay.rr.com

Re: Hardee's Brigade musketry..

Hi,

You might want to try touching base with Robert "Bruce" Graetz who is very knowledgable about Florida regiments (he does a lot of flag research). Here is Bruce's e-mail address:

Bgraetz@dos.state.fl.us

Tell him I sent you. If nothing else, Bruce might be able to refer you to someone who CAN answer your question. It appears, unfortunately, no regimental order books for the 8th Florida have survived in the collections of the National Archives. I don't immediately know if the 8th Florida published a regimental history after the war but it's, at best, "50-50." You might also want to check the "Official Records" and "Supplement to the Official Records" since these could provide leads regarding arms, accoutrements, uniforms, etc.

Also, don't forget to try looking in the "Compiled Service Records" for the 8th Florida. These are also maintained on microfilm at the National Archives and can also be purchased through NARA.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

You must keep one thing in mind Hardy's brigade is not a historical brigade, The only mention of a Hardee's anything to my knowledge(someone correct me if I'm wrong is Hardee,s Corp. AoT. Now to answer your question. The 8th Florida was part of the ANV and any of the above weapons could fall into the relm of possibility. Your only true answers lie in requsitions that unit made during its time of service.
      Respectfully,
      Cpl.Walter Cook
      4th Florida Infantry Company G.

Comment

Back when W.J. Hardee was a brigade commander, it was the mid- to late summer of 1861 up in northeast Arkansas. The troops were armed mostly with "Harpers Ferry rifles" or "minie rifles" for those that were better armed, flintlock M1816 variants for the rest.
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Thank for the info, However the Florida Hardy's Brigade isn't named after the General in the Civil War, but the modern brigade commander.Forgive my post, but even so to my knowledge the 8th Florida was attached to the A.N.V., not the above mentioned brigade. So in order to find what weapon was the predominant firearm, one most do a study on that particular unit and theater.
          Respectfully,
          Cpl.Walter Cook

Comment

Working...
          X