Making authentic inert cartridges and arsenal packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making authentic inert cartridges and arsenal packs

I would like to make some inert cartridges and arsenal packs for demonstrations and teaching.

Can anyone point me to the official Army Specifications for these items? I want to make them as accurate as possible.
    I can use coffee grounds or sand for the power and need to get a couple of cheap minie balls.

I have an illustration someone gave me but it is not detailed and does not include the dimensions for the cartridge paper template

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Anthony Melillo
    Anthony Melillo

Re: Making authentic inert cartridges and arsenal packs

Scroll down the page and you will find instructions and more.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

That page is fantastic. I found the article on making cartridges
      What a useful treasure.

Thanks
      Anthony Melillo
      Anthony Melillo

Comment

Here is a page that I made that contains lots of useful historical information on US and British style cartridges:

Here are some videos:

In this video I show how to make Expanding Ball cartridges per the instructions found in the 1855 and 1861 Ordnance Manuals. Drawing and instructions for th...

Instructions on how to make the 1855 British Enfield paper cartridge.For more information see:http://4thla.weebly.com/paper-cartidge-patterns-and-information...

For making inert rounds I understand some people roll up a wad of tissue.

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

one option is to use coal (you would use for heating a grill) as a substitude for blackpowder. just smash it into something that look like blackpowder in size.
          It give the paper cartridge some of the same feel and structure like real blackpowder.

I done it at a museum where the guests tried first to make a bullet (using tin)* and then the paper cartridge.

* I would guess the US insurance and healthcare system make that pretty impossible... liability and all that.... But It is not a problem doing that with 7-8 year old children. and the museum have been doing that for years with school children with no issue.

Oh and make sure to mark the cartridges make in this way.. so you do't try to load one, at the firingrange one day... ;-)
          Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Your page is fantastic! We were talking about these paper cartridges at a living history event today.
            I am going to make a couple for demonstrations.

I especially like the videos
            Thanks!
            Anthony Melillo

- - - Updated - - -

Great points. I will have to ask around to get some coal or charcol. Our BBQ doesn't have any

I like this idea better than my initial thought, to use coffee. Can't sacrifice that!
            Anthony Melillo

Comment

Working...
            X