Uniform Kits - Who can sew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Kits - Who can sew?

After some thought and some conversations, I started researching uniform kits. One person out here really sold me on the idea of kits, especially as they would be hand-sewn without any machine use for buttons. I really like the prices on some of the uniform kits that I have seen, at places like Wambaugh, White and Co (especially the ones that provide appropriate thread). But I won't even pretend to be able to sew. It usually takes me at least thirty minutes to sew on one button that popped off my trousers. Does the Authentic community have any recommendations on who (or what organizations/companies) to contact for getting something sewn together? And should I find someone willing to sew together a blouse or trousers, how much would be a reasonable fee to pay?
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Re: Uniform Kits - Who can sew?

"once upon a time" there were quite a few enterprising folks in the hobby who could sew kits and do a great job. However, if you're going to buy a kit, you're paying for fabric and for someone else to do the cutting for you. Then, you're going to find a sewist (not really a tailoring job) and pay them to put the thing together. The more hands, the more people to pay for their services.

The advantage to be gained from a kit is the cost... you sew it yourself. If you subcontract that labor, you won't really be saving much.
    ...unless of course you have a family member who will sew it up for free!

I went straight from making shirts to making a frock coat. If cost is the issue, dive right in to sewing. It isn't that hard and there are lots of resources to walk you through it. Heck! Somewhere here I have detailed instructions with photos for making RD pattern trousers! :)
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
      "once upon a time" there were quite a few enterprising folks in the hobby who could sew kits and do a great job. However, if you're going to buy a kit, you're paying for fabric and for someone else to do the cutting for you. Then, you're going to find a sewist (not really a tailoring job) and pay them to put the thing together. The more hands, the more people to pay for their services.

The advantage to be gained from a kit is the cost... you sew it yourself. If you subcontract that labor, you won't really be saving much.
      ...unless of course you have a family member who will sew it up for free!

I went straight from making shirts to making a frock coat. If cost is the issue, dive right in to sewing. It isn't that hard and there are lots of resources to walk you through it. Heck! Somewhere here I have detailed instructions with photos for making RD pattern trousers! :)
      I'd be interested in those instructions if you have them handy!

Tim Koenig
      Tim Koenig

Comment

If kits are a stretch, try a blank from either WW&Co or Ben Tart, the pieces are put together, you just have to do the finishing. Cost is a lot cheaper than buying a finished garment, only basic stitches are needed to finish. Just my 2 cents.
        Don Woods
        Member ABT

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
          I'd be interested in those instructions if you have them handy!

Tim Koenig
          Found it!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Well, I tried my family, and nobody can sew. Do you think a local community theater group would be willing to sew something together in exchange for a farby blouse-and-trouser combination that they could use as costumes? Worst come to worst, I'll try sewing it myself.
            Michael Denisovich

Comment

'morning sir,

A quick note regarding theater (from a tech theater major), keep in mind that their costumes are just that, costumes. They are generally intended to have a short life span, and the finishing (from the outside) looks good, but generally MANY steps are cut in the construction. Not to say that they're not capable of better quality, it's just generally not needed or the time justified. Make sure to ask questions before committing.

If you go the sew it yourself route, I've had very good experiences with the Wambaugh and White kits. But instead of jumping straight into the trousers and jacket, start simple. I did both their Federal issue and civi drawers and a shirt before I attempted the SA trousers (at the time, I asked Dan Wambaugh which was simpler, the trousers or sack, and he said the trousers were marginally easier).

That first set of trousers took me a year to complete. Mostly because I'd do some, hit a point where I was uncertain and set them aside for a while until I got the courage to continue. It now takes me considerably less time.

Best of luck!
              Mike
              Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
              www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
              http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

My advice is to 'just do it'. Start simple. Poke Sacks are easy and inexpensive and can help build a little confidence that you can do this. I used this article to get started:

Sewing isn't easy but it's not rocket surgery, either. Practice and learn to walk away from it when (yes, when) you get frustrated.
                Kent Baxley

Comment

If I am going to learn, I should start out on something basic. Thanks for the link! I will have to give those poke sacks a try, especially as I want to incorporate food and other consumable items into my interpretation.
                  Michael Denisovich

Comment

Working...
                  X