Quick Federal Cap Pouch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Federal Cap Pouch Question

A quick question; I'm still fuzzy about when the Federal arsenals/contractors started putting rivets in the construction of their cap pouch belt loops. I'm also not clear on the idea that "shield cap pouches" are "early war" manufacture and those with a cover made from a single piece of leather are "mid war" manufacture. (I understand the difference between shield fronts and non-shield fronts, my query has more to do with when the shield and rivet transitions were made and how universal were these changes (generally speaking) between the arsenals and the contractors. Does anyone know of any articles or links that clarify this or give dates that are more specific than "early war" / "mid war"? Any help would be appreciated by my uneducated self.
    Travis Shick

Re: Quick Federal Cap Pouch Question

Travis-

Bob Serio with Missouri Boot & Shoe has a lot of information on his website and will probably even entertain your questions.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Re: Quick Federal Cap Pouch Question

Thank you, Louis. That website is quite helpful. I appreciate it.
      Travis Shick

Comment

Working...
      X