Tompion use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tompion use

My unit has had many discussions on the storage of our rifles, and the use of the tompions. Some say good, some say bad.
    It will keep dirt and "some" rain out while in the field, no argument there. But what about long term storage? Will it keep it from rusting, or make matters worse.
    Anybody have any insight?

Thank you.
    John Mort

Re: Tompion use

'morning,

I don't have any historical info, but I do use them in all of my black powder long arms and never had an issue. It doesn't keep from or promote rust, but it keeps debris out. If you have pets, you will be surprised at how much fur finds it's way in...

One big thing to remember is to NEVER put it into a dirty barrel. The wood will absorb the bp fouling and when you put the dirty tompion into a clean bore it will react. The end result is that those couple of inches will be as if they were not cleaned.

Hope that helps,
    Mike
    Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
    www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
    http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Thanks Mike
      John Mort

Comment

A good period practice (listed in the manual for musketry that Patrick Cleburne developed for his division) is to keep your weapon clean. At the beginning of each day, I run a clean patch down the bore to make sure it's clear and ready for action. As a personal addition to that quirk, I put a little dab of Bore Butter on that patch just for a little lube and protection of the metal.

In modern practice, the Army often issues a little plastic muzzle cover for the M16/M4. In earlier days, vets in Vietnam would put a condom over the muzzle to keep out rain, dust, and other detritus. A clean bore is a happy bore, now, or way back then. Tompions often got lost in field service ;-)
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
        X