Authentic Federal Issue Blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Federal Issue Blanket

I have been able to find almost everything from defarbed muskets to authentic pipes and twist tobacco but the one item I have been unable to find is an authentic federal issue blanket. I have scoured the fourms and internet and have been unable to find anything that accurately resembles the federal issue blankets I have seen, the Woolrich emergency/ fort sumter is the closest I have found though the color is off. Those that I have found the company's are either out of business, or they no longer sell their blankets. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of authentic reproductions.
    Now I am wondering have Woolrich blankets (either gray, tan or both) with their hemming removed become acceptable due to the lack of authentic reproductions. Now I fully understand that this is usually relegated to the discretion of the unit, but I am hoping that this thread becomes a useful tool for the future.

I hope this thread grows and becomes updated regularly for those of us who are just starting, and those of us who are actively looking to progress and update our impressions now and in the future.

Thank you, Sean Dahl
    Sean Dahl

Re: Authentic federal issue blanket

I am in the same boat as you. I broke down and bought the gray woolrich blanket. I’ve accepted that it’s the worst part of my impression. Every once an a while a good blanket will go up for sale either here or on the Facebook trade blankets,, but they’re snatched up quickly for anywhere from 150-300 dollars.

I’ve used my woolrich at a couple events now and either no one noticed or they didn’t care. I plan on using it at some EBUFU events this year too.

Tim Koenig
    Tim Koenig

Comment

Sean,

Considering how expensive our hobby can be, I would encourage you to not spend any money on bad reproductions. The temptation to buy a bad repro as a stop-gap is very real, but once you buy it - you're stuck with it forever. It is a waste. If you ask around before an event (ask the guys you are going to fall in with, an organizer, etc.), you might find someone who will be willing to loan you a blanket for a weekend. It'll be a win-win for all involved.

Authentic federal blankets are out there, and they do turn up for sale periodically. Keep an eye out, and consider posting a "wanting to buy" ad on the forum - there are some people on here who hoard these things. Call the sutlers who have done runs in the past (I would start with S&S), and see if they are planning to do a run anytime soon. If they are, you can pre-order. Read the older threads on the forums that discuss federal blankets to familiarize yourself with the different reproductions you may come across along your search. Repro federal blankets have a "short history" of their own and knowing the different folks who have reproduced them over the years will help you be a more informed buyer.

Try these:

If you're going to go the woolrich route anyway, keep the blanket inside your knapsack and at least then it will be (generally) out of sight. If you're desperate for a blanket, I would rather purchase an authentic 100% wool civilian (or other documented) blanket to hold you over (maybe in a gray/tan/brown color to help you blend in a bit more?). It may not be government issued, and 100% correct for the impression, but at least it will keep you warmer than the woolrich, and you can either 1) sell it later (when a good fed blanket comes your way), or 2) keep it for a reb impression or something else down the road. Again, you can keep it in your knapsack and only take it out when necessary. Just my opinion.
      Last edited by jtrotta; 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM.
      John Trotta

Comment

Jtrotta,
        thank you for your advice, I am definitely going to try getting an authentic federal blanket before anything else one way or another, though I much prefer new unused items.
        I have read both those thread's multiple times among others through the search engine. My intention for this thread is to be a general catch all on this subject with preference to being information on new, recent runs of authentic blankets from all members for many of you have much more knowledge and connections than me and others new(er) to the hobby, not saying I am not going to be continually looking and researching, for which this forum is immensely helpful and educational. I do know there is a vendor announcement thread, but it's buried down at the bottom of the fourms, and I believe most people look right over it.
        Sean Dahl

Comment

Stx,

Thank you for mentioning trade blanket groups on Facebook I hadn't heard about them before again thank you
          Sean Dahl

Comment

Have you considered a civilian blanket from South Union Mills or another AC approved vendor? For any Federal impression in late '62, and for many throughout the war, a civilian blanket can be appropriate for military use. Officers would in any case purchase their own, but in G.O. 121 of August 29, 1862, the WD recommends the same for new recruits, the order reading in part:

"As the sudden call for volunteers and militia has exhausted the supply of blankets, fit for military purposes, in the market, and it will take some time to procure by manufacture or importation a sufficient supply, all citizens who may volunteer or be drafted are advised to take with them to the rendezvous, if possible, a good stout woolen blanket. The regulation military blanket is 84x66 inches, and weighs five pounds.

"As all clothing, blankets, and shoes issued by the United States to its troops are charged at average cost, and no soldier who furnishes his own blanket is required to draw one, it is to his interest to supply himself, and thereby avoid much discomfort, as it is impossible for the United States to supply all the troops immediately."

The "current price" of an issue blanket was $2.95; per G.O. 202 of December 9, 1862, it would rise to $3.60, or slightly more than the volunteer's entire monthly clothing allowance of $3.50.

In time domestic production would catch up with the requirements of the service, and by the end of the war the QMD had a full million on hand in the depots. But, for a time at least, an "authentic" army blanket would be any authentic blanket.
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Does anyone own or have a opinion on the bristol hollow English import blanket. weight, authenticity and how close it is to possibly replicate a federal issue. The two small photos on the website don't really show much. I know they aren't an approved vendor but I am curious.
              Thank you
              Sean Dahl

Comment

I own the British import, it is spot on to the North Carolina from EOG, not sure it will be appropriate for a federal impression, much darker than in the picture.
                Don Woods
                Member ABT

Comment

What is the weight of it if you don't mind me asking
                  Sean Dahl

Comment

About 5 lbs
                    Don Woods
                    Member ABT

Comment

For anyone who needs one, South Union Mills has a fantastic US issue blanket right now. Looks spot on.
                      Last edited by kw1861; 10-16-2020, 12:00 AM. Reason: Typo
                      Kirk Womack Jr

Comment

Re: Authentic Federal Issue Blanket

The South Union Mills U.S. Issue blanket is manufactured by Family Heirloom Weavers on original machines from 19th century (if I remember correctly). The products are sold by Wambaugh, White and Company, S&S Sutler of Gettysburg and their own website.

Moderators if there are any problems with having the full names of the vendors, feel free to change them or let me know so that I can fix it.
                        Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

New businesses start and old businesses end all the time, so it is good to hear who is still operating and what quality products they sell.
                          Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                          Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

To add in on this. At Harpers Ferry I recall they had a white woolen blanket ID'ed to a Union soldier that was there. Might have seen another one that was white and ID'ed to someone in the war too.
                            Sean Marcum

Comment

Working...
                            X