Need Enfield Sling Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Enfield Sling Recommendation

I'm looking for recommendations for a quality Enfield Sling that isn't too expensive. I'll be in Gettysburg soon or I can order online. Is Dell's Leather Works a recommended sutler? They have a Friction Sling for $27 http://dellsleatherworks.com/enfield...riction-sling/ and a Buckle Sling for $36 http://dellsleatherworks.com/enfield-buckle-sling/ (which do you guys prefer and why)? An other recommendations?

Michael Gazzuolo

There is quite a bit of research about this topic on the AC forum, which rather than reiterating here at length let me suggest that you enter ENFIELD SLING in the search box and see what comes up. There will be a lot. There is also a chapter in The Civil War Musket about Enfield slings, too. I think neither of these two slings from Dell are exactly right, to answer your initial question. The friction sling with sliding keeper in particular is post-bellum, originally made for the Martini-Henry rifles. The tied loose leather thong closure at the base is not accurate on the P56 black leather rifle sling, with the buckle. The P56 sling was actually longer than the sling for the P53. The P53 sling was a buckle type in white buff leather with a button type closure with a single thong at the base and so on.

If you are doing a US impression or even if not, the leather federal issue sling for the US 1861 can be easily modified to fit the Enfield by relocating a couple holes. This was undoubtedly used more and was more commonly found than any of the imported English slings.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 08-23-2021, 09:49 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Duvall made a nice leather Enfield sling when still doing CW (I miss Duvall in the hobby). I picked up a few in black from him. Richmond Depot also sold his slings but I don't think they're available anymore.

I'd be interested in the board's views on the accuracy of the Duvall Enfield sling, which has a free floating buckle and loop, no ties or buttons.
      Last edited by Ian M.; 09-28-2022, 10:01 PM.
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Working...
      X