Turbans for Zouave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbans for Zouave

Have looked close at many photos, 5th NY, 165th NY....want to know what size were these pieces wool. have wrapped them a couple of ways, based on photos and one in the Smithsonian, but is there a definitve source or something I'm missing. Tassel is another question. I know the 165th had blue tassel and 5th a yellow. but what are the dimensions. Thanks to
    all that respond.

Tudd Dean
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 02-19-2018, 06:50 PM.
    Tudd Dean

Re: Turbans for Zouave

Tudd, I think I just might be able to help you my friend. Give me a day or two and I will get back with you.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Re: Turbans for Zouave

Ok Tudd,
      So I made a phone call to Kelly Ford. He has had the privilege of examining a mint original 5th NY uniform.
      He also examined a 114th Pa. Uniform. Unfortunately, an original 5th turban does not exist. He did say that the one that is with the 114th (from memory without his notes to review) was 1'x10'-12' and would have been made of either cotton or wool depending on availability. The first ones issued would likely have been a light weight worsted "suit weight" wool.
      The tassel was between 14" and 16" in length. The cord was also considerably longer than what is seen on most reproduction Fed's.
      Original tassels for the 5th were dark blue in color. These were used spring through summer and into early fall of 61. After is when the color was changed.
      The 165th was being organized during this time frame and because of this chose to utilize the blue cord and tassel and did so for the duration of the war.
      Also worth mentioning that with their their first issue uniforms (from Brooks Brothers) they were not issued jambieres and the "mustard yellow" jambieres that the French wore is not what they were wearing even though that is what they were supposed to be wearing. The originals were Brown in color.
      I hope this helps. If you would like further info I would encourage contacting Kelly as he has done extensive research on ACW Zouave units.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
      X