Wet rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet rations

How were liquid daily rations typically carried by troops; I.e. molasses and vinegar. thank you,
    Joe Phillips
    Joe Phillips

Re: Wet rations

Those items weren't issued. If they did come across them their canteen would be used.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Both US and CS Regs describe molasses and vinegar as items issued to soldiers.

In 1861 and 1862, at least three soldiers of the 16th Mississippi, on four occasions, wrote home describing being issued molasses:

May, 1861, Diary of James Kirkpatrick: “Our rations consisted of bacon, flour, sugar, coffee, rice, beans, molasses, vinegar, soap, candles, etc.”

August 26, 1861, letter form Jesse Kirkland to his wife, Lucinda Kirkland: “The country has not been ravaged by Yankees and the Confederacy feeds on the best bacon (salt and fresh), Irish potatoes, rice, coffee, sugar, molasses, and flour just from the mill.”

August 21, 1861, Letter of William Hardy to Sally Hardy: “We have lived on beef and flour for the last four months, having one day's ration of bacon out of seven. Molasses every other week, four days' rations.”

and

September 8, 1862, Letter of William Hardy to Sally Hardy: “This morning we have drawn beef, bacon, flour, molasses, and coffee.”

(The 16th Mississippi Infantry: Civil War Letters and Reminiscences edited by Robert G. Evans)

In Spring of 1863, Robert E. Lee reported to Secretary of War James Seddon the rations being issued as such: The troops of this portion of the army have for some time been confined to reduced rations, consisting of 18 ounces of flour, 4 ounces of bacon of indifferent quality, with occasionally supplies of rice, sugar, or molasses. (O.R., XXV, Pt. 2, pp. 686-687)

On June 30, 1863, the 8th Georgia Infantry received rations for 5 days for 373 men, including: 1,492 rations of molasses, 373 rations of whiskey and 1,310 rations of vinegar. (http://www.blueandgraymarching.com/a...h-georgia.html, an unfortunately dead site, citing "Magruder, Edward J." Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Georgia (National Archives Microfilm Publication M269) Record Group 109.)

So, yes, the soldiers were issued wet items and they would have them in camp. A better question for a site geared towards campaigners is whether these items would be broken down into individual rations for the soldiers to carry on the march, or would they simply use it all at once and discard any unused portions. Considering that this stuff was issued by the keg, and not tiny little bottles, it seems the latter is more likely. In addition, a ration of molasses was one quart per 100 men, or about 2/3 of a tablespoon per man. Even those 1,492 rations for 373 men received by the 8th Georgia worked out to only about 3¾ gallons of molasses total for those 5 days. Hardly something you would worry about packing up and saving for later (and that little “Gettysburg” thing might have taken priority anyway). If you did happen to have enough to save, you would probably use whatever container was available.

For example, describing the Battle of Sharpsburg, John Robson of the 52nd Virginia tells of picking up a dropped canteen: As we advanced I came upon a canteen which had been dropped by someone, and quickly snatching it up, found it was filled, and with the fine instinct which distinguished the average Confederate soldier, concluded that it would be a very laudable scheme to convey that canteen and contents to where I was going, and so slinging its strap over my shoulder, I pressed forward , and soon after was dropped by a bullet. I made an examination as soon as I could, and by the quantity of blood flowing from my wounded side, was thoroughly satisfied that my wound was mortal and my time short… [M]y friend proceeded to try his surgical skill in checking the flow of blood. A short examination of the wound brought from him some decidedly emphatic language, and soon he assured me that I wasn’t wounded at all, except in the canteen, and so it proved, for a bullet had gone through that canteen, and its contents, running down my side clear to my shoes, gave me, in connection with the shock, the impression that it was life-blood, when, in reality, the canteen had been full of molasses. (How A One-Legged Rebel Lives. Reminiscences Of The Civil War: The Story Of The Campaigns Of Stonewall Jackson, Told By A High Private In The “Foot Cavalry” by John S Robson (pp 143-144))
      Eric Paape
      Because the world needs
      one more aging reenactor

Comment

Granted this is pre-war, but 41-47 regulations called for vinegar kegs to be painted in the following manner; body of the keg to be painted in a forest green color, the heads painted chrome yellow and on each head stenciled in black the manufacturer, contents and age/date of manufacture. This was provided from the chief historian at Ft. Learned.
        I do have some accounts of vinegar being issued as well.
        Check this website out. Lots of good stuff.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

You have to remember rations while on campaign would be very basic, meat ( product) hardtack, ( product), coffee. Generally issued at a few days at a time, you could cook it and consume as much as you could. Not in s static setting, one would or could expect the full ration to be issued.
          Aka
          Wm Green :D
          Illegitimi non carborundum
          (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
          Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

From my experience via Matt Woodburn, be careful what you wish for regarding the vinegar ration.
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG
            "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Thanks greatly for all the input.
              Joe Phillips

Comment

Working...
              X