Name:	0414181218-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,021.9 KB
ID:	232488Click image for larger version

Name:	0414181219-1.jpg
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	232489

See attached photos. Over the last several years I have been considering trying to construct a kepi. Just thought it might be a fun project. I finally decided to give it a try. I took some measurements from a kepi I have and sketched out a pattern. Lots of trial and error before I came up with something that looked close. I had some walnut dyed wool scraps left over from another project that I used. After cutting the pieces out I assembled the cap band and kepi body by hand sewing with some Ben Tart vegetable dyed thread. You'll notice the cap band is actually three pieces sewn together as I did not have a single piece of fabric of the entire length. The look I was after was homespun. I'm sure that during the war caps and other garments were assembled both hastily and by individuals with lacking sewing skills such as myself and that materials would have been pieced together to utilize what was available. Trial and error was the key, I sewed it together and took it apart numerous times before I was satisfied with the shape and fit. I used some blue cotton checked cloth that I got out of my wife’s sewing scraps to use as the liner using the same pattern reversed. The stiffener for the top of the kepi was cut from the cardboard back of a legal pad sandwiched and sewn between the cap body and liner. I made the headband from some heavy cotton duck and painted it with black craft paint. The chin strap was made from an old black leather purse (I would advise caution here. Just because your wife hasn't used a purse and it has been at the bottom of a plastic storage box covered by old shoes for 4 years doesn't mean she's ready to part with it. I would strongly advise asking before cutting it into pieces). I attached the chin strap with two federal eagle buttons. I used small strips of leather to hold them in place. The only component I cheated with was the bill. I did try making one from thin pieces of cardboard glued together covered with some fabric and painted black but I wasn't happy with it. I tried binding the edges with the same leather I used for the chin strap but it didn't turn out to my liking. I may attempt making another one in the future. I had an old sutler kepi that I tossed years ago but kept the leather bill so I sewed that to the cap. The inspirations I used were the Pvt. A.A. Crews kepi on page 163 of Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy and the Pvt. William Jenks kepi. I did not try to recreate any particular original kepi. The Jenks kepi has brass regimental numbers 58 on the front. I placed the numbers 57 on my kepi for one of my great-great grandfathers who was in the 57th NCSTs. With all said is this an acceptable kepi for reenacting or good, bad, farby? All comments are welcome. This was a fun project but I don't think I'll try to make another one.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 04-15-2018, 10:31 AM.
    Jeff Elmore

Lincoln Lodge 137 AF&AM
    Gen. Robert F. Hoke, Col. William J. Hoke Camp #1616 NC SCV
    Gov. Zebulon Baird Vance Chapter At Large #1 NC MOoSB
    Capt. George Dickey Chapter NCSSAR

Re: Homemade "Homespun" Kepi

I applaud your effort to make something of your own, I did much the same for Kepi (but used a course grey wool from a threadbare blanket) a few years ago; after buying the "Echoes of Glory" reference book set which is an inspiration to make as much as possible yourself.
    I'll dig it out of my bag later and take some photos.
    Last edited by Kimber; 02-08-2019, 09:32 PM. Reason: Additionals
    Kim Stewart

Comment

Re: Homemade "Homespun" Kepi

Click image for larger version

Name:	227.jpg
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	225615Click image for larger version

Name:	229.jpg
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	225616Click image for larger version

Name:	228.jpg
Size:	850.5 KB
ID:	225617Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	225619

My attempt to reproduce something of an enlisted mans homespun Confederate Infantry Kepi.
      I used a threadbare scrap of woolen blanket, commercially available chinstrap and small CSA brass buttons (would prefer plain pewter or base metal ones but hard to find not knowing the contacts at the time.) Stripped the varnish off the buttons and chinstrap buckle, then vinegar washed them for an eventual tarnish.

I began with doing as much research as possible, and being limited down here in the great South land (Australia) my main reference text for original museum artifacts has been the "Echoes of Glory" series, which I had to buy from an American bookstore at the time. I drew on the volume "Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy" pages 162-163 "Enlisted Men's Caps".

I initially thought the peak I tried to replicate was too long, but on comparing it with the "CORP Anthony S. Barksdale, 1st Battalion, Virginia Light Artillery" example on page 162; it seemed to my eye acceptable enough although I'm of a mind to cut it down somewhat.
      Everything is hand sewn, Greg Starbuck I can never be but at least I have one of his superb pieces of work here; that I managed to buy second hand from an AC member. a few years ago.

Personally I lean to a western Army of the Tennessee Confederate impression, so in the main prefer an enlisted mans broad brimmed hat; and will rely on a purchase from one of the more creditable recommended makers on the AC forum.
      Attached Files
      Kim Stewart

Comment

Working...
      X