Not a Good Time to Get Started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Good Time to Get Started?

Practically every unit page I go to is 404 or defunct or from 2004. Same 4 events, so many cancelled when I go to investigate.

It was almost impossible to get my rifle, they r so hard to find.

I just decided this will be the year I start reenacting, I've wanted to for so long, I've put this off long enough, I'm determined to do this, but it's becoming clear to me that it's going to be like pulling teeth getting all I need and getting into events. I wish people made it easier for newbies like me to get going. I would hate to see reenacting go the way of the dodo bird that would be a shame & I'm trying to do my part by stepping up, if someone could take me under their wing & answer my newb questions it would go far to help this fresh fish. Let me know if u would be willing to talk to me on discord or something. It's clear to me that this hobby isn't dead, but it's obviously had an arm amputated & I'm a little taken aback.

I have all my basic gear ordered, just starting out, but willing to spend time and money to implement a better impression as I move forward. I want to be able to absorb into events without a unit for those that allow this and then contact units to see if I can join them for an event or two, I'm from SoCal but the events I want in on are back east. My plan is to see as many civil war sites and join as many battles as I can this May/Summer.
    Last edited by Michael Scott Dorame; 03-30-2022, 10:29 AM.
    Michael Dorame

Michael,

Great to have you on the AC! There is a perception out among the mainstream living history community that we are dying. That couldn't be further from the truth. Sure the days of the 5k reenactors at a big event with the battles in the big open field on Saturday and Sunday are past. But what we have lost in numbers we have far exceeded in quality. Campaigner events today are more authentic to the history and many in the AC community are very dedicated to living history even if it doesn't seem like it. This focus on hyper authenticity at this point has come from many years of dedicated persons striving for only the very best in historical interpretation through the years when mainstream events were the popular events to attend. Those Campaigners set up a foundation that has brought us to this point. A point that drives quality over quantity.

Don't take my word for it, check out the websites and facebook pages that clearly show living history is alive and well.

The Liberty Rifles A living history organization that honors the common fighting men and home-front civilians on both sides of the American Civil War.

MESS NO. 1 is an Authentic Civil War Living History Organization based in Ohio with members from around the country. Our goal is simple. We attend the best Civil War Living Histories in the United States.

As for mentoring there are many guys on here with many years of experience who can help. I'd be happy to hear what you have so far and what we can do to get you set up and going to events. We live in a time like no other in the sense that there are people/companies producing hyper authentic items like never before. But as you have pointed out there are some obstacles we face with production delays (many companies are small and work hard to keep caught up) and supply issues we are all facing these days. Another idea that comes from the mainstream world is the demands are high and the help is not there to get your rolling. The first is true, but the second is not. Every event I go to I bring things to loan to pards in Mess No. 1. Other groups are just as generous to let you borrow.

Let me know where you live and I'd be happy to point you to a group that might help you the best in your area.
    Jason Brown
    Mess No. 1

Comment

I'm from Los Alamitos, CA. It's in Orange County.
      Michael Dorame

Comment

Michael,
        I'm just now returning to the hobby after a 12 year hiatus, simply because the quality of campaigner events have lured me back in. Having to rebuy virtually everything I once had(and regrettably sold) does suck, and the gun shortage is irritating. However, I've still managed to put together a decent kit and even secured a rifle in a relatively short amount of time. It's more difficult than it used to be in some ways, but far from impossible and there's some great new research now. There's a lot of cool events coming up in 2022 and 2023, though I'm in the southeast so your mileage may vary way out west. Even though I was in the game before, I'm starting all over now and think it's a great time to get back in.

Calen Lee Smith
        The Free State of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by florida11061 View Post
          I'm just now returning to the hobby after a 12 year hiatus, simply because the quality of campaigner events have lured me back in. Having to rebuy virtually everything I once had(and regrettably sold) does suck, and the gun shortage is irritating. However, I've still managed to put together a decent kit and even secured a rifle in a relatively short amount of time. It's more difficult than it used to be in some ways, but far from impossible and there's some great new research now. There's a lot of cool events coming up in 2022 and 2023, though I'm in the southeast so your mileage may vary way out west. Even though I was in the game before, I'm starting all over now and think it's a great time to get back in.

Calen Lee Smith
          The Free State of Florida
          Welcome back! If you haven't already join the facebook AC page and group linked above. There is a lot out there being sold used. The hard part is unless you are doing Federal one is really stuck waiting for an event to post guidelines before you buy. But even Federal there are nuances to the kit that will be unique based on the regimental quartermaster records.
          Jason Brown
          Mess No. 1

Comment

I dabbled in reenacting prior to joining the military in 2004 and am now getting into it... rifles and gear IS way more pricey now, but I found a good number of authentic units to fall in with. You just have to know where to look. Facebook is actually a good place to look, too.
            Jeffrey Hughes

Comment

The moral of the story is-never sell your gear! I started out as a North-South Skirmisher in 1969. I was inactive for many years, but started re-enacting in 1992. Got back into N-SSA in 2006. The quality gear that I had acquired in the '70s was still good. I had to buy new uniforms (I guess mine shrunk over the years :D), but my leathers are still going strong.
              Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Scott Dorame View Post
                Practically every unit page I go to is 404 or defunct or from 2004. Same 4 events, so many cancelled when I go to investigate.

It was almost impossible to get my rifle, they r so hard to find.

I just decided this will be the year I start reenacting, I've wanted to for so long, I've put this off long enough, I'm determined to do this, but it's becoming clear to me that it's going to be like pulling teeth getting all I need and getting into events. I wish people made it easier for newbies like me to get going. I would hate to see reenacting go the way of the dodo bird that would be a shame & I'm trying to do my part by stepping up, if someone could take me under their wing & answer my newb questions it would go far to help this fresh fish. Let me know if u would be willing to talk to me on discord or something. It's clear to me that this hobby isn't dead, but it's obviously had an arm amputated & I'm a little taken aback.

I have all my basic gear ordered, just starting out, but willing to spend time and money to implement a better impression as I move forward. I want to be able to absorb into events without a unit for those that allow this and then contact units to see if I can join them for an event or two, I'm from SoCal but the events I want in on are back east. My plan is to see as many civil war sites and join as many battles as I can this May/Summer.
                show up to anything Mess No. 1 is doing and I'll have a rifle to loan you. The guns are out there. Don't let that stop you.
                Jacob "Ned" Nolan
                Mess No. 1

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard View Post

show up to anything Mess No. 1 is doing and I'll have a rifle to loan you. The guns are out there. Don't let that stop you.
                  It takes almost relentless searching, but yes, they are out there if you keep looking. The Musket Shortage of 2022 is genuine enough. This week, I had two vendors/importers inform me that they don't expect to have much inventory before 2024 (!). For those of us in search of US muskets, especially of the Antebellum variety, the shortage seems to be pretty acute. However, for those inclined, there does appear to be a few 3-band Enfields on the market, modest numbers of 1861s, some Richmonds and Lorenz reproductions and a small number of 1841s (mostly the .58 variety). There does appear to be a good number of 1816 and 1795 flintlocks on the market.

-Sam Dolan
                  Samuel K. Dolan
                  1st Texas Infantry
                  SUVCW

Comment

About a year ago I was in the market for a Cook & Bro rifle. I went online to Dixie Gunworks. Their site indicated that they did not have any in stock. I ordered one anyway. In a couple of weeks one showed up at my door. What to say? Did they have them, but they had not updated their site?
                    Michael Fraering

Comment

Originally posted by yatman56 View Post
                      About a year ago I was in the market for a Cook & Bro rifle. I went online to Dixie Gunworks. Their site indicated that they did not have any in stock. I ordered one anyway. In a couple of weeks one showed up at my door. What to say? Did they have them, but they had not updated their site?
                      I've ordered a lot of things from Dixie over the years and sometimes you have to call them on the phone, regardless of what their website says, to check availability. In your case it sounds like a leap of faith worked out for you. Probably you were first in line when a Cook came in via import and they hurried it out to you.

-Sam Dolan
                      Samuel K. Dolan
                      1st Texas Infantry
                      SUVCW

Comment

I have to admit that making the switch from military to civilian last year was difficult. Finding vendors has been hard, because so many of the vendors mentioned in the Authentic Citizens forums are either out of business or they are not responding to emails. Or they are on Facebook with no publicly listed email address. And if I want to commission clothing that's a bit outside of what the hobby considers to be normal, usual, general, it is not easy. Who even sells wool and cotton flannels, merino, or lightweight jeans cloth by the yard?
                        Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                        Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post
                          I have to admit that making the switch from military to civilian last year was difficult. Finding vendors has been hard, because so many of the vendors mentioned in the Authentic Citizens forums are either out of business or they are not responding to emails. Or they are on Facebook with no publicly listed email address. And if I want to commission clothing that's a bit outside of what the hobby considers to be normal, usual, general, it is not easy. Who even sells wool and cotton flannels, merino, or lightweight jeans cloth by the yard?
                          You're not wrong. There's been a changing of the guard in many ways when it comes to vendors during the last decade. However, there are some excellent folks turning out beautiful products these days. They're mainly doing business via social media, or relying heavily on that, versus maintaining websites. Ben Tart, W&W and others are still selling fabrics in addition to finished garments. I've had some nice luck lately with other folks, who I would be happy to recommend via PM if you're interested.

-Sam Dolan
                          Samuel K. Dolan
                          1st Texas Infantry
                          SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                          X