Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare fabric on a shelter half

Hello gents, thanks for your time.

I'm heading back into the hobby and wanting to get it a bit more "right" this time. I've used the search button to find a pattern and a great wealth of useful information on the humble Federal Shelter Half, but my source for cotton drill is Ms. Joann's and it comes in a 40 inch roll - which shrinks down to 39' (if this no longer meets muster as an authentic cloth, feel free to offer up better alternatives. I've been out of the hobby a decade for all practical purposes, and suspect things have changed for the better).

Now, the pattern and research dictate that I'm wanting a pair of 28 1/2 inch panels along with a foot wide panel, paired with sundry smaller bits and pieces. I've yet to find a source for a more broad spool of cloth that's economical, so I'm left to query: Do you gents know of a use for all the extra drill, have a source that offers a spool more conducive toward the project, or must I simply "suck it up" and leave a third of the cloth to waste?

Here's the link for the pattern, to show mercy on those using the search function. The Book is likewise excellent:
    Eugene Yeo
    “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Re: Spare fabric on a shelter half

Thought about one of these: http://wwandcompany.com/shelter-half-blanks/
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

You could make an inner bag for your federal haversack - or paint the stuff and make a haversack out of it. Or use it for cleaning muskets.
      David Stone

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
        I have, and I actually own a used one. It's been through the wringer though, and for the cost of one tent I can buy the fabric and material to make 3. It's a good bit of work though, and if I didn't have the missus here to help me with the tailoring I couldn't do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by fahnenschmied View Post
        You could make an inner bag for your federal haversack - or paint the stuff and make a haversack out of it. Or use it for cleaning muskets.
        I'm actually looking up an authentic recipe for haversack paint right now!
        Eugene Yeo
        “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

Working...
        X