Company/Regimental Clerk Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company/Regimental Clerk Impression

So one area of the war that I’m interested in is the paperwork side of things. We all know that armies are like anything else government related, in that no matter what’s going on you will have the right paperwork completed. I would be interested in portraying a clerk in some capacity but I’m not exactly sure where to start. I am working on my Spencerian penmanship as best I can and attempting to learn more about the supplies used by clerks. Does anyone have any further suggestions on sources or documented information? I would like to be able to examine original reports of the war but I’m not sure where these would be located or how to get access to them, so any guidance on that would be more than helpful. As far as units go, I live in Virginia but I’m open to unit on either side or ones that galvanize. Thank you. -Bobby

I have not done much research on the clerk yet, but this book might be of use.

Also Sullivan Press has several sets of army paper work from the armies of both sides.
    Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

If I remember remember correctly the clerks were polled from the privates of the company or regiments.
      Dan Kohli

Comment

Thank you for those resources. As a paper and pen guy, the clerk idea interests me. I just wasn’t sure where to start with research.

Comment

No problem.

I think there was more information in the Customs of Service for NCOs and Soldiers by August Kautz, I forget how much it goes into the role though.
          Dan Kohli

Comment

You may want to also take a gander at http://www.artilleryreserve.org/schoolofclerk2005.pdf

Matt Nowlin
            1st Sergeant, 12th Louisiana Volunteer Infantry, Trans-Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Battalion
            Last edited by lajeeper; 04-03-2024, 11:07 AM. Reason: Signature went missing, will correct in settings.
            Matt Nowlin
            1st Sgt., 12th Louisiana Infantry, Co. M
            Trans-Mississippi Volunteer Infantry
            "It sucks not to be us"
            Pvt., Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Working...
            X