Identifying Federal Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Federal Blankets

Apologies if this is not the right place for this post. This is my first post since joining this site.

With everyone always looking for authentic Federal Issue blankets and the lack of makers I was curious how do you identify authentic blankets?
    A friend of mine recently lended me several old blankets but is unsure as to who made them. One feels a little thicker and solid with no U.S. stitch. The second feels much thinner with the U.S. stitch. There is a third one that is gray with light gray/brown stripe.

What should I look for? Size, weight, material I'm guessing? But I am also oblivious as to correct color. Photos would help greatly. I'll post a few shortly as well.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
    Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Southeast Kansas area Union Reenactor
    Descendant of Sgt John Giggy, CoH 44th Indiana

Re: Identifying Federal Blankets

Obi,

Here is a good thread to start with to help in identifying authentically made Federal blankets. The Columbia Rifles Compendium has a good article on them also. The proper selvage edge, weave, weight are good points to start. Then you can look at the amount of shoddy that was added to the blanket by manufacturers. Weight and color wise, the regulations called for a 5 lb. "grey" blanket. Most original blankets are a brownish tan today. I believe analysis has found the remnants of a logwood dye in the yarns which would indicate they were dyed some sort of grey original color that would have faded quite quickly in the field. There are some excellent reproductions out there today, but it is a matter of luck running across one for sale and snagging it before someone else. The repros are addressed in the link above pretty well. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by teufelhund; 11-27-2018, 06:32 AM.
    ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

I've posted this before but I think it's worth revisiting. At a particular time in the war, just about any blanket of period construction would be "authentic" for federal use, as discussed in the following order:

G.O. 121 of August 29, 1862, the WD recommended new recruits bring their own, reading in part:

"As the sudden call for volunteers and militia has exhausted the supply of blankets, fit for military purposes, in the market, and it will take some time to procure by manufacture or importation a sufficient supply, all citizens who may volunteer or be drafted are advised to take with them to the rendezvous, if possible, a good stout woolen blanket. The regulation military blanket is 84x66 inches, and weighs five pounds.

"As all clothing, blankets, and shoes issued by the United States to its troops are charged at average cost, and no soldier who furnishes his own blanket is required to draw one, it is to his interest to supply himself, and thereby avoid much discomfort, as it is impossible for the United States to supply all the troops immediately."

The current price of an issue blanket was $2.95; per G.O. 202 of December 9, 1862, it would rise to $3.60, or slightly more than the volunteer's entire monthly clothing allowance of $3.50.

Officers of course had to provide their own, and often brought more than one. A passage from Marching With Sherman by Henry Hitchcock (p. 285)-- who has earlier mentioned a blue blanket and a "double Mackinaw" -- reads "The brilliancy of that gay new red blanket contrasted finely with the 'sombre hues' of the gray ones bought of the Quartermaster, as well as set off the *subdued white* -- we won't call it *dingy yet -- of the 'Hudson's Bay' blanket with its answering gaiety of stripes at either end."
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Some of us have more than one blanket in our possession (collection), and may be able to identify them with appropriate pictures if they are reproductions of known originals (Julius Jones, Abe Thomas, Danish Exchange, etc...). The selvage and the stripe are 2 things I always look for. Once I learned about the selvage from Mr. Woodburn, its what I always look for.

Since this would be comparing your reproduction against known reproductions, hopefully the admins would allow alittle leeway with this.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thank you, I will read through there and see what turns up. One of the blankets I borrowed from a friend of mine maybe a FHW blanket based off one someone else had at my last event. The other I am confident is a Woolrich. I will have to read through the article and compare. To bad my friend is not willing to sell the FHW blanket!
          Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Comment

I remember seeing where the Union army recommended bringing blankets from home but couldn't remember where. Thank you for posting the actual order! Knowing how the "authentic" issued blankets are woven is a good jump off point for knowing what to look for in a civilian one. Most of the "big" (I use that term loosely) events in my area take place in late 1862 so having a civilian blanket would be proper.
            Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Comment

I am always looking for proper blankets. I borrowed these two (I believe one is FHW, the other is Woolrich) from a friend who is unwilling to sell for personal reasons. But if these are correct I know what to look for when I see one. I will have to post pics and measure them soon.
              Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Comment

In the link I posted above, Matt Woodburn lists the good authentic blankets in post #6. It has been a few years since that thread was started. In addition to those blankets, you can add blankets made by:

-S&S Sutler of Gettysburg.. I think I heard they may actually be doing a run of them now. Not sure though. Might want to give them a call or check them on Facebook.
                -Bristol Hollow's blanket if you can find one.
                -I believe the fella from NJ has a new run of blankets out if they haven't sold out yet.

There might be one or two more reproduced blankets since that time that I am forgetting right now.
                ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Originally posted by teufelhund View Post
                  In the link I posted above, Matt Woodburn lists the good authentic blankets in post #6. It has been a few years since that thread was started. In addition to those blankets, you can add blankets made by:

-S&S Sutler of Gettysburg.. I think I heard they may actually be doing a run of them now. Not sure though. Might want to give them a call or check them on Facebook.
                  -Bristol Hollow's blanket if you can find one.
                  -I believe the fella from NJ has a new run of blankets out if they haven't sold out yet.

There might be one or two more reproduced blankets since that time that I am forgetting right now.
                  Its something I will be keeping an eye out for. Its unfortunate that there isn't very many vendors carrying good blankets these days.
                  I sent a message to S&S, now I sit back and hope. I would consider the gentleman in NJ, however I am not confident I would get the blanket or my money back.
                  Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Comment

I have been following this thread, but I am not sure of the original question. I am not sure if the original question was what makes a blanket authentic, but more how to identify WHO made the blanket that Robert has. I have sort of wonder the same thing. That is, if the question is how to identify if someone actually has one of the authentic blankets that have been mention. In other words, if someone is selling what they think is an Abe Thomas blanket, how does the buyer actually know that is the case. I bought a US blanket second hand along with several other items. The the leather items had the makers mark so I knew I was buying good stuff. The seller couldn't remember who he bought the blanket from. It was heavy, definitely 5lbs, and I took it on faith that since his other items were high quality, so would be the blanket. I had asked around, but no one was sure or would guess at who the original maker was to the blanket. Finally at an event, someone had the exact same blanket, and I found that I had paid very little for a Charlie Childs federal blanket. Anyway, I was thinking that was the original question. How to identify repro blankets from the various producers.
                    Rob Bruno
                    1st MD Cav
                    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Yes and No

My main question was what makes a good federal blanket. What to look for etc, I still need to post the ones I have so I have example to go off of (These blankets are borrowed)

I had an additional question actually. A friend of mine recently offered to sell me a blanket. Its tan but has stripes on all four ends instead of just the two. Its also 75% wool and 25% shoddy (cotton and wool). Its much lighter at only about 3lbs instead of 5lbs. Would this be an accurate representation? The color looks right based off of the article posted above
                      Robert E. "Obi" Barnes

Comment

Obi,

Be patient and wait for a good fed issue repro to come along, either second hand or ordered from a good vendor as mentioned above. Until then, keep borrowing your friend's. Buying something to "hold you over" is never money well spent.

I always found the attached Watchdog article to be helpful in learning the characteristics/construction of originals. From there you can compare to the federal issue blankets you come across in your search.

Good luck,
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jtrotta; 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM.
                        John Trotta

Comment

Originally posted by jtrotta View Post
                          Obi,

Be patient and wait for a good fed issue repro to come along, either second hand or ordered from a good vendor as mentioned above. Until then, keep borrowing your friend's. Buying something to "hold you over" is never money well spent.

I always found the attached Watchdog article to be helpful in learning the characteristics/construction of originals. From there you can compare to the federal issue blankets you come across in your search.

Good luck,
                          I was in that same boat myself a few years ago, thankfully happened to stumble across one being sold on one of the Facebook CW Reenactor Forums (and none of the usual sources had any in stock at the time so my only option was to buy a second hand one). They do pop up for sale every so often though....

The struggle is real :(......
                          Robert F. Wallace
                          38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                          North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by robwall1861 View Post
                            I was in that same boat myself a few years ago, thankfully happened to stumble across one being sold on one of the Facebook CW Reenactor Forums (and none of the usual sources had any in stock at the time so my only option was to buy a second hand one). They do pop up for sale every so often though....

The struggle is real :(......
                            I've been keeping an eye out for an authentic blanket from the above named vendors for the last 5 years. I got cold and decided on the Woolrich. I got tired of being cold. Lol
                            Tim Walker.

President, 125th New York State Volunteer Regiment Association

In Memory of Sgt. Philip H. Van Horn, Co. C, 121st New York State Volunteers

Comment

Posting this for reference for the ID of various repro Fed blankets:
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                              X