Period Pocket Watch Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Pocket Watch Repair

Well, my model 1857 Waltham 18S pocket watch has stopped working. Not the mainspring, rather I think it needs a new balance wheel pivot jewel among other possible causes. Can anyone recommend a top notch vintage pocket watch repairman I can trust to send this to for repair? Please limit this to recommendations from those who have actually availed themselves of the particular individual, and not just goggled suggestions please.

Many thanks in advance!
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Re: Period Pocket Watch Repair

I've got two with Bruce MacDonald right now. He owns/operates Rome Clock Service in Rome, GA. (706) 291-8596. He is a former reenactor (Salt River Rifles) and a nice guy. I trust him. Turn around isn't fast, but I expected that going in. I think he has had them 6 months now. His bread and butter is clock repair for locals, so that takes priority. I don't know how deep I am into my repair job, since one needed a lot of work and the other only needed cleaning, so I can't speak to cost, but I know he'll be fair.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Thank you Joe. I will look into this lead.
      Michael Semann

Comment

'morning,

I can't say if he does "mail ins", but I'll suggest Tom Theis (http://tomtheiswatchmaker.com/). He's done two of mine, with a third currently in his hands now. Not quick, but good and reasonable. The two that he did for me just needed cleaning. The one he's got now needs some case repair, but the internals just need cleaning.

Best of luck!
        Mike
        Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
        www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
        http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Thank you Michael. I'll check him out as well. Mine needs to have the balance wheel staff replaced, as the bottom pin has apparently broken off. I also want the mainspring replaced, as it is getting long in the tooth.
          Michael Semann

Comment

I think I am going to go with Tom Theis. I've looked far and wide regarding the working techs who specialize in vintage time pieces, and he checks off all of the boxes IMO.

Thanks again for the leads.
            Michael Semann

Comment

Working...
            X