CWDD: US Blankets Couching Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWDD: US Blankets Couching Stitch

Did you get a new US issue blanket recently or have one that still needs the US stitched on? If so, this episode if made just for you! The stitch shown here is the same that was used on an original that was recently reproduced by Wambaugh and White. Grab your blanket and the yarn you have had sitting in a drawer! Watch, learn, and complete an easy winter project for your impression. This is the first of a three part series helping you complete and care for your Federal issue blanket.

Vol. V, Episode 5 US Blankets Couching Stitch

Civil War Digital Digest is supported by viewers like you! Check out Patreon and see how you can be a Coffee Grinder!

Want to show off your interest in history and Civil War Digital Digest? Check out the store for shirts, drinking ware, and more.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 02-27-2019, 07:12 PM.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: CWDD: US Blankets Couching Stitch

I saw on a Fb board someone mentioned to soak the blanket in warm water first, let it dry? I am guessing to constrict the fibers and tighten the weave (ie allow for shrinkage) ? I assume the originals were stitched right on the fresh product no soaking. Thoughts?
    Lee A. Benjamin

Comment

Correct, that gentle washing shrinks the blanket. A new blanket after that would match up better size wise with surviving originals. My understanding is that blankets were issued not finished with the US sewn on. So they would shrink in the field as used. That is also an option and the one I have done personally in the past.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Bonus episode this week! Follow the link below to a thread for an episode on putting a blanket stitch on the ends to help with fraying.

Blanket Stitch
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
        X