Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCO baldric and who wore it

Pards,

This may be a stupid question, but here goes: I portray an elected corporal in my ACW unit which has no officers (on purpose). I also belong to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, and we try to be as authentic as possible when doing ceremonial events. We (the SUVCW) have a grave dedication on the 10th of August. Very short notice. So, as a corporal, can I wear the NCO sword and baldric to this ceremony? What else would go along with it? I am also the Camp commander and will be leading the ceremony.

I should have an officers impression (LT), but have not had the money to get one together yet. It is at the top of my list so that I can wear it to these solemn events.

Any help will be appreciated as I get ready to conduct this ceremony.
    Douglas Urbanski
    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Re: The NCO baldric and who wore it

'morning sir,

It's been a while since I looked at this for a friend. I forget which manual, but I only found one actual reference as to who could wear it. And that ended up being Sgts only. Corporals are simply "high privates". Hopefully someone will chime in with an actual quote from the manual.

As to what else to wear with it, everything. Your cartridge box would go on first, and would not have the breast eagle, then the NCO baldric, then the waist belt.

The photo below shows what I mean, even if it's a different impression.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	225667

Mike
    Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
    www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
    http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Re: The NCO baldric and who wore it

A corporal does not rate an NCO sword and baldric unfortunately. SUVCW ceremonies are a bit outside the intended scope of this forum, but respecting the fact you want to be correct in appearance, I'll offer you this advice: Since you are running the ceremony and cannot afford an officer impression, why not slap sergeant chevrons on your uniform (if you can get them in time) and be correct with the sword and baldric? If you got first sergeant or sergeant major chevrons then you could also wear an NCO sash in addition to the sword...You can always remove the chevrons for normal events with your usual group.
      Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
      X