Please Critique My Sergeant Chevrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Critique My Sergeant Chevrons

I've been captain of my N-SSA team for over 2 years now, so I'm finally getting around to adding sergeant stripes to my coat, as allowed.

I am given to understand that the Confederacy did not often use the "sew and go" rank chevrons, so I am making them out of cotton tape. It is 5/8" wide, cotton twill. I understand regulations called for a "worsted". I wasn't sure where to get that, so I figured cotton would be an available substitute. I like the color and look. I understand the color should be blue for infantry and match the uniform trim.

I started sewing them on, and was happy with them, until I realized that in much of the available artwork the upturned ends of all the chevrons are cut parallel to each other (vertically).

I cut my ends perpendicular to the stripe.

Here a reference I used:

So, what do you think of these chevrons? Should the chevrons be bigger (wider)? Should I cut them off and make new ones where the ends are all parallel to each other?

Full-resolution photos here: https://imgur.com/a/EQi84Ve

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Re: Please critique my sergeant chevrons

By altering my search terms I was able to come up with this thread:

Mostly Union examples but there is clearly a lot of variation. I do think my chevrons should be wider, covering more of the sleeve, with the ends cut parallel (vertical).

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

In another thread, I discovered this source for worsted twill tape:

Steve Sheldon

Comment

Steven,
      First let me say that original examples of CS uniform coats or jackets with NCO chevrons are extremely rare. In my studies of RD jackets I have personally seen only one example with original chevrons, a 1st Sgt. example, on the RD type II in the NPS collection at the Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor center. The Henry Redwood RD type III in the American Civil War Museum in Richmond has Cpl chevrons which were added after the war along with collar trim. There are two additional examples in the American Civil War Museum that I have seen pictures of in EOG , the Cpl. Thomas Taylor jacket (p 141) and the 1st Sgt. John Lester frock coat (p 128), Dean Nelson also owned a jacket (see below) at one time but that may have been sold to Don Trioani and now could be part of collection at the New US Army Museum collection in the DC Area. There are possibly others that someone here on the Forum could comment on but that's it as far as I know. I have never seen any example of the "sew amd go" type you describe. What I assume you are referring to are the common type seen in Union examples where the chevrons are sewn to a sub-straight of material similar to the jacket material, that is then itself sewn to the sleeve. I have never seen anything like that on any original CS jacket and honestly doubt I ever will (but of course I have been wrong before). In the Federal service chevrons were issued through the Quartermaster or men purchased them from sutlers. Making them that way made issuing (or stocking them significantly easier. Also "Company tailors " who could sew them on that way were common in the Union Army. less so While there were sutlers on the Confederate side too I still would need to see an example to believe that it was done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Confederate_Infantry_sergeant_s_jacket_with_wooden_buttons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	225746

Relative to chevron material and size you have obviously consulted the CS Uniform Regulations to be looking for worsted tape. The CS uniform regulations were copied almost verbatim from the US Army regulations at the beginning of the war and, except for some changes relating to specific differences in the Regular Army CS uniforms, didn't get updated in the five years of the conflict. The passage about enlisted rank insignia is essentially word for word from the US version. The only original example (NPS Gettysburg Park jacket) I have studied is similar to the description in the Regulation but is made from different materials and distinctively different visually from what is usually seen in US examples. Below are some pictures of that jacket with closeups of the chevrons.

Name:	Gettysburg Park Jacket 1.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	225747

Name:	Gettysburg Park Jacket 2.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	225748

Name:	Gettysburg Park Jacket 3.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	225749

Name:	Gettysburg Park Jacket 4.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	225750

Based upon this example, your chevrons are made of cotton twill tape, these are made of sky blue wool very similar to Union trouser material. The width of yours are 5/8", these are closer to 3/8' max. The way yours terminate is the same as these except these (as most other CS examples I've seen) extend nearly to the sleeve seams on either side. I certainly would not try to substitute "worsted" wool tape as what is available from most vendors duplicates what the Federal government was using and probably wasn't available in the South. Finally, I believe that most of the CS examples were applied directly to the sleeve either by the soldier himself, a "Company tailor" in his unit (if there was one, or one of the seamstresses that did work for soldiers when they were camped in a given area. On the "Company tailor," I have never in my research seen mention of one in the Rebel Army. That's not to say they didn't exist just I haven't in my studies ever seen a reference to one.

Finally, I will attach some period pictures of CS NCO's with chevrons although these are me wearing RD type jackets which may not what you are representing. These may also provide you wit a better idea of the chevrons worn by Confederate NCO's

Name:	3rd SC Inf..jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	225751

Name:	confed-4.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	225752

Name:	confed-5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	225753

Name:	confed-11.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	225754

By the way I will be at N-SSA Nationals in May on Friday and Saturday. Stop by if you want to discuss further. I'm with Hardaway's Battery.

Dick Milstead
      Hardaway's
      Liberty Rifles
      Company of Military Historian
      Miller Award Recipient Badge # 31
      Richard Milstead

Comment

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the information.

I have re-done the Chevrons. I'm much happier with this result:

Full-resolution here: https://imgur.com/a/yuqEnug

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

OK, I have finished the stripes. I supposed they could have been positioned a bit more to the rear, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

Problem now is I'm down about 35 pounds since last August and now my coat is too big! :) I guess I can say the supply lines are getting a little tight delivering the hardtack. :)

Steve
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
          X