X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct 2-band Enfield Sword Bayonet

Comrades,

Need help!

Does anybody know about the level of authenticity of the 2-band enfield repro swordbayonets which some sutlers sell?

Where to buy the best repros?

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
    Eric Seppala

Re: Correct 2-band Enfield Sword Bayonet

Get an original. They usually fit and good ones can be had at a reasonable price.

I bought a repro sword bayonet for my Mississippi and it weighs about 2 lbs more than an original. Like carrying a bucket of lead on the end of the barrel. Doesn't look the part either. Too beefy.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Eric,

I would concur with what Jim advised. I have seen originals that go for just about the same price and as he said, the fit is often-times much better.

If you are leary of using an original or if you can't find one, I would recommend looking at the model that Dixie Gunworks sells. It's a pretty decent repop. I priced around with several of the streamer sutlers and Dixie's (for once) was the cheapest. I did have to do an enormous amount of filing to get it onto my rifle but once that was done it worked pretty well. The sheath was so-so and I will most likely upgrade that soon and the frog was a definite POS. Had Don Smith make me up a replacement that fits the bill nicely.

On the subject of Mississippi sword bayonets, Jim, I would concur with your thouhts there too. Don has a beautiful Mississippi with sword bayonet and from what he told me he's filed all kinds of brass off that thing to get the weight and the look up to par.

In my opinion, rifles are under-represented and there's nothing quite as inspiring as that big pig-sticker perched on the end of your barrel. Beware that right shoulder shift does get a bit more tiresome though.

Kind regards,

Fred Baker
      Sword bayonet for life club
      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

In addition to the blade being a wristbreaker, the grips on most of the repros are incorrect. The ones I've seen have wooden grips with chequering filed or cut in. The originals are either leather with the chequering pressed in or molded gutta percha, depending on the maker.

The real problem with the excess weight in the blade is that it makes your belt sag. You could probably fix that with a grinding wheel and some time.
        Michael McComas
        drudge-errant

Comment

I purchased two original Enfield sword bayonets for the two band Enfield rifle, neither of which came remotely close to fitting the repro lug. I therefore resorted to geting the repro.

The repro compares favorably with the original in size and weight. This is quite different from the Mississippi sword bayonet, which is an overweight abomination.

The brown wooden grips are a disappointment, and need to be stained black. The metal also needs a once over with rotten stone to remove the factory buffing wheel bright finish.

The scabbard furniture is not a bad repro, though is does differ in some small ways from the original.

The frog is a historic abomination in every way and should not be purchased.

I am still trying to determine whether the Enfield frog should be smooth side or rough split leather. Another issue is whether the buckle should be brass or iron. If anyone has a good link to Britih army regulations, I would appreciate it.
          Last edited by JustRob; 08-06-2008, 12:00 PM.
          Robert Carter
          69th NYSV, Co. A
          justrobnj@gmail.com
          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Hallo!

Ye lads have it well covered...

"Does anybody know about the level of authenticity of the 2-band enfield repro swordbayonets which some sutlers sell?"

No, we don't, as there is no level of authenticty. :(

"Where to buy the best repros?"

The question is rather where to buy the best of the bad repros? (And that can vary as the importers of the Indian or Pakistani reproductions do not always get the exact same product from the same exporter, plus being a hand-made, cottage type, small industry one worker's work may not be the same as lad's across the room.

As an aside, some of the repro bayonets have straighter blades than others, and some are wider than others. One can grind and repolish the spine and edge but it requires time, skills, tools, and references not all lads have or have access to.

When I had an (English) Parker-Hale Rifle, I used an original sabre bayonet and scabbard.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have checked my Arms and Equipment of the British Army and there is no reference to the frog for the Sword Bayonet as to smooth side or buckle metal. I can only make reference to an original frog in my posession used by the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.
              It is likely a private purchase item or was purchased by the Regiment as I previously had one issued to a bugler. They are easy to determine as the pattern of the hilt design can be seen on the leather, perhaps patent leather.
              The chequering discussed can be clearly seen in the attached photographs.
              The buckle is iron painted black, proven by the much abused fridge magnet test. Please note that there is no roller on the buckle and the overall size compared with some of the reproductions is quite smaller.

Erik SimundsonPictures did not work (what a Luddite)
              PM me and I will atach.
              ERC
              Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
              X