Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Unit with 1842 / Enfield?

Hi all!

I'm getting into building a federal impression, having primarily focused on Confederate (2nd Florida Infantry) and Civilian until this point.

I'm hoping to build a general federal impression, but as the Union kept better records than the south i know impressions for specific units are more strict/regulated because of the better documentation. Just want to make sure I get things right the first time.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a federal unit that used 1842 Springfields for a good portion of the war? Extra points if, upon changing to .58 cal, they changed to Enfields. I already own both muskets, and would love to start with those at the moment until I can eventually purchase an 1861.

I already own a federal fatigue blouse, J.T.Martin trousers, and a mid war double bag and need to start putting the rest of the uniform together but don't want to start buying until I have a unit to base my impression on.

Furthermore, does anybody have any advice on finding what specific depot/styles of uniform gear were issued to what unit? What style forage cap, what style canteen, which color canteen cover, etc etc.?

Thanks in advance!

-Austin Millinder
    Austin Millinder

Re: Federal Unit with 1842 / Enfield?

Over the years I have found Appendix C of this book to be pretty accurate as far as weapons issued to Regt.'s both Federal and Confederate. You didn't say if the '42 was rifled or smooth bore as that might change the outcome. Both are listed and the number is fairly large. The Enfield is even larger so you'll have quite a search for sure.
    Joe Coyle

Comment

The thing is that in our hobby the specific unit impression isn't actually the most useful route. Most of these FUBU events have a specific unit that is called for. I've been 147th NY (I think), 3rd WV, 64th Ohio, 12 US, 7th Ohio, and I am preparing for 9th Ohio. The point is that versatility is key, as your focus impression may not be the one called for. Your mileage may vary.
      Jacob "Ned" Nolan
      Mess No. 1

Comment

Austin,
        The 115th New York was armed with the Enfield rifle and saw service in Florida. The Liberty Rifles, I believe, will be portraying the 115th New York at Olustee next year.

Chuck Mood
        Charles W. Mood

Comment

I am glad to know that the you have own a federal fatigue blouse, J.T.Martin trousers, and a mid war double bag.Thanks for sharing it.. i also believe that liberty rifles will be portraying next year
          Peter James

Comment

Austin,
            I'm not totally educated upon the armament within the Irish Brigade, but I seem to recall them with smoothbores up through the Gettysburg campaign.

Many units early on were issued smoothbores and rifles (for the two flank companies). Many Ohio and Illinois units were structured like this. Also, a lot of western theater units received Enfields since it seems a majority of m1861s were kept East.
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Several excellent posts in this thread regarding Iron Brigade armament through Ordnance Reports . The only deviation I can recall but unfortunately can't remember which book I read it in is the the 2nd Wisconsin were armed with .69 caliber Harpers Ferry conversions at Bull Run. They then received the .54 caliber Lorenz. I look for the citation but without it this thread is very complete and accurate.
              Joe Coyle

Comment

I was forming a VRC unit and they used smoothbore 1842s, primarily guard duty for prisoners or depot guards.
                Jeffrey Hughes

Comment

Probably not very helpful, but I remember reading in a unit history for one of the Massachusetts regiments (maybe the 20th?) that they left Boston with rifled Springfields, which were then exchanged at Fort Monroe, VA for converted flintlock smoothbores. I always thought that was strange and interesting.

-Sam Dolan
                  Samuel K. Dolan
                  1st Texas Infantry
                  SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                  X