Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Tea Kettle - Removing Rust

Hey, folks!

I picked up a cast iron kettle last week that is in pretty good shape. However, the inside has a coat of scaling and rust that I need to remove. For things like skillets, this process is simple (not easy... but simple) - You just abrade the surface and re-season. However, tea kettles have that pesky spout! ...you can't easily get in there to scrub off the rust.

Anyone have any pointers, tips, tricks, or advice on how to get the rust out?

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Cast Iron Tea Kettle - Removing Rust

White vinegar and baking soda. Then scrub with a stiff brush like a natural whisk.

Rinse, Repeat as necessary until clean. Cure with olive (sweet) oil. Done.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

What Ivan said. I am amazed what can be done with vinegar and/or baking soda for cleaning and rust removal.

Once the cast iron comes out of the vinegar you will want to act quickly. Be ready when it’s done with those steps to season right away. It’s shocking how fast the rust starts coming back when the iron is stripped clean like that.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks, gents!
        I had heard of using vinegar solutions (50%, typically), but the baking soda was a new detail for me.

Followed your advice over the weekend. I think tea kettles like this are a challenge because they are used to boil water... not a great task for cast iron unless you diligently dry out the kettle each day before rust can set in. I would say I am about 80% there. The spout remains a challenge because you don't have direct access or visibility to the surface like you do when cleaning up (for example) a skillet.

I think I will need to get a bottle brush (or, perhaps a bore brush as one would use for a shotgun) to scrub. The rust to be removed seems to be in two forms:
        1) surface iron (III) oxide.
        2) scale - which looks to be layers of rust and iron.

What has been your experience in cleaning up cast iron like this? Do you add the vinegar/soda mixture and scrub, or have you also immersed the cast iron and let it soak (and how long should cast iron soak before the vinegar begins attacking the iron as well as rust?)?

Thank you!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I have only done fry pans. I did the 50/50 mix in a bucket inside a garbage bag. I would soak overnight or so and then check it. Typically rust, grime and paint just wipes off.
          I had one I soaked over 24 hours before it was stripped.
          They would start to rust minutes after rinsing and drying!

Side note, we have used vinegar and baking soda to clean old nicotine soaked and paint covered furniture. Orvis is a less harsh choice though that is used more often here now.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
          X